Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Russe

Imaging with the 130pds

21 minutes ago, jjosefsen said:

Ok cool, so I guess I don't have to take off much.

Maybe 10mm..

Thanks

You can always chop off again... 1cm was not enough for me

13 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

You can always chop off again... 1cm was not enough for me

Yeah. I was just looking for a sanity check before going all Texas chainsaw on the thing. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi All,

Its been a while since I've posted anything. Here is my new version of the Orion Nebula. Hope you like it. :) :)

Telescope: Skywatcher 130PDS
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro StellarDrive 5
Camera: QHY 163M
Filters:Ha + O III + S II 
Exposure:

Ha (red channel):
100 X 9 sec
50 X 37 sec
50 X 75 sec
36 X 300 sec

O III (green channel):
100 X 9 sec
50 X 37 sec
50 X 75 sec
36 X 300 sec

S II (blue channel)
100 X 9 sec
50 X 37 sec
50 X 75 sec
36 X 300 sec

Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop CC

orion final standard.jpg

• Like 11

I reprocessed the image in the Hubble palette.  I still can't decide which I like more! Each has it's own personality.

Naturally, all the exposure times are the same as above.

Orion Narrowband.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Has anyone got the dimensions of the bottom/base plate of the focuser (where the focus locking bolt and other bolts are located)?
I have a slow day at the office and decided to draw a sketch of the bracket to fit the stepper motor.

Edited by RolandKol

2 hours ago, RolandKol said:

Has anyone got the dimensions of the bottom/base plate of the focuser (where the focus locking bolt and other bolts are located)?
I have a slow day at the office and decided to draw a sketch of the bracket to fit the stepper motor.

I have them at home, when I made the measures to Moonlite to create a plate for the SW130PDS. I will post the pdf latter.

Cheers.

37 minutes ago, Susaron said:

I have them at home, when I made the measures to Moonlite to create a plate for the SW130PDS. I will post the pdf latter.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot

19 hours ago, al-alami said:

I reprocessed the image in the Hubble palette.  I still can't decide which I like more! Each has it's own personality.

Naturally, all the exposure times are the same as above.

Orion Narrowband.jpg

I like this one. Really nice - lots of detail and a bit different to the images of M42 you usually see. 

• Like 1

Any of you gents use an ST80 for a guidescope, and how much of a problem does that represent in terms of balance?

I am already using 1 kg of extra weight on the back of my 130 to get it balanced in dec, and I am worried an ST80 will make it even more front heavy..

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, jjosefsen said:

Any of you gents use an ST80 for a guidescope, and how much of a problem does that represent in terms of balance?

I am already using 1 kg of extra weight on the back of my 130 to get it balanced in dec, and I am worried an ST80 will make it even more front heavy..

I have the same balancing problem with all toys at the top, so I attached my Canon for wide field shots and as a contra-balance.

I guess, ST80 will make balance even easier and you will not need 1kg extra.

You simply need to buy two longer dovetail bars and place ST80 on top/center or bit lower, the main camera should be attached to 130PDS from bottom at 6 o'clock.

Something like this. 

Hunting Galaxies

Edited by RolandKol

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

I have the same balancing problem with all toys at the top, so I attached my Canon for wide field shots and as a contra-balance.

I guess, ST80 will make balance even easier and you will not need 1kg extra.

You simply need to buy two longer dovetail bars and place ST80 on top/center or bit lower, the main camera should be attached to 130PDS from bottom at 6 o'clock.

Something like this. 

Aha! Thank you.

I actually already have a longer dove tail, but would need another. The problem is I don't think I can fint that longer dovetail as I have my motor focuser mounted right next to the current one.

IMG_20190108_153351.thumb.jpg.3189c99123fc8dbed4d4be3e58ac248d.jpg

But will look into this. :)

Edited by jjosefsen

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jjosefsen said:

Aha! Thank you.

I actually already have a longer dove tail, but would need another. The problem is I don't think I can fint that longer dovetail as I have my motor focuser mounted right next to the current one.

But will look into this. :)

Exactly like mine :) , thats why my canon and it's clamp (around 1.5KG)  are almost at the bottom of the scope, so I have to slide it a bit higher to balance and motor fits :)

Edited by RolandKol
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

P.S. forgot to mention,

if you will change dovetail bars, - read about cone error in advance as you may have some pointing/targeting problems on opposite side of the meridian.

P.P.S.
As per balancing, I was even made to offset Canon slightly left from the bar to balance the guider off which is in standard position near focuser, - with ST80 on top, you will not have such a problem.

Edited by RolandKol

I did a bigger change, I modded the head of my AZEQ5 in order to have a dual saddle holder, so I mounted a losmandy dovetail of 33cm. Its weight assures the balancing and stiffness.

Though I guide with a ZWO 30mm guidescope which is indeed lighter and all the stuff, power distribution unit and usb hub at top rear.

Posted (edited)

So had first light last night, but spent all freezing night working out tilt and collimation issues.

I must admit I had a slight "why did i buy a damn Newt!" moment for a while..
Most night was spent working on this:

image.png.ca181d7757f3246b27e9e0097995415b.png

See the split diffraction spikes,  @Spaced Out same issue as we talked about?

I think this has been pretty much resolved by correcting a severe tilt using the collimation screws on the focuser, tightening the focuser up to both the tube it self, and in the small hex screws underneath.

My secondary assembly was also not centered in the tube and correcting that made a big difference, one looks slightly wider, so might be twisted a little too.

image.png.90200e0b9509a7a85fb3b252ae090776.png

image.png.fbdee84f75765cfbffffe17d8728c9cd.png

Still a little out, but not too bad..

I still have issues with tilt, but I think they are more related to the two thumbscrew setup in the 2" receptacle in the focuser.

So drill and thread a third thumbscrew maybe?

Sorry for all these build / collimation posts, but your feedback has been invaluable!

Thank you!

Edited by jjosefsen
  • Like 1

Watching this thread i feel like why don't i get this 130PDS myself, i saw many nice results here, just i don't know how good it is compared to many other lenses such as APO refractor, and i already have 8" F5 Newtonian, so is this 5" Newt necessary?!!!

2 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

tilt and collimation issues

Hi. Be sure to read the collimation myths before you agonise a moment more;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

Watching this thread i feel like why don't i get this 130PDS myself, i saw many nice results here, just i don't know how good it is compared to many other lenses such as APO refractor, and i already have 8" F5 Newtonian, so is this 5" Newt necessary?!!!

Because of the field you get with this scope if you use a 4/3 or aps sensor. Also the guiding is easy at 650mm.

And it only weights 3.5kg.

3 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

Heh I did it because I thought it would be a cool little project. I will never be able to build my own scope, so doing these small modifications is the closest I will get to it. I've had a blast with it the last two months, fiddling with it and learning a ton of new stuff.

On my way home now and it's looking clear, maybe tonight is the night I get a little data with this thing. ?

• Like 1

Ok, maybe one day when i finish getting Takahashi [i hope, OH GOD, i pray to you for this] and a dob and maybe 10-12" RC then i can think about this 130PDS ?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

It is cheap!!!! And it's not so painful if something will go wrong while moding/tinkering and improving it  ;) 
Plus, it gives a very nice results without any mods! 

Nice scope for the start and for DIY! :) 

I even cleaned it's primary without any frustration :)

Edited by RolandKol

13 hours ago, RolandKol said:

It is cheap!!!! And it's not so painful if something will go wrong while moding/tinkering and improving it  ;) 
Plus, it gives a very nice results without any mods! 

Nice scope for the start and for DIY! :) 

I even cleaned it's primary without any frustration :)

That's what making it as a nice one to have for fun more, BUT, i mentioned APO refractor, there are so many refractors APO and small, and many prefer to go with a refr than a newt, so keep that in mind too.