NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

23 hours ago, Rob F said:

What would cause the stars in only one corner to be elongated? I know if it’s only one side, top and bottom, then it’s an off center issue. I already installed the TS Optics compression ring which took care of that problem, but I still get some bad stars only in one corner. One time it’s in the lower left, then it’s to the lower right side. The stars in the rest of the corners are round. 
The imaging train has not been touched, canon t3 with MPCC.

Could be collimation or tilting issue. This is how i approach that issue.

Anyone tried one of these? https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5417_Lacerta-Schraubadapter-fuer-Baader-Komakorrektor-an-Skywatcher-Newtons.html

Moon, lucky imaging, Canon 1200D

It was windy, but the seeing was good. (16:9 crop cause i love Moon Shots as Wallpapers) 

Moonfinal3.jpg

Edited by Bibabutzemann
  • Like 5

On 13/03/2022 at 09:51, Bibabutzemann said:

Could be collimation or tilting issue. This is how i approach that issue.

Anyone tried one of these? https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5417_Lacerta-Schraubadapter-fuer-Baader-Komakorrektor-an-Skywatcher-Newtons.html

Moon, lucky imaging, Canon 1200D

It was windy, but the seeing was good. (16:9 crop cause i love Moon Shots as Wallpapers) 

Moonfinal3.jpg

I had looked for something like that to attach the CC and camera  to have a treaded image train, without using thumbscrews or compression rings. 
I’m curious too if anyone had used this method.

only issue would be the camera rotation 

Awesome moon image btw. It’s been a while since I last imaged the moon.

2 hours ago, Rob F said:

only issue would be the camera rotation 

Awesome moon image btw. It’s been a while since I last imaged the moon.

Thanks! I dont do it too often too. I think its a way more interesting target for longer focal length.

Image rotation would work, because there is a lock ring. But you have to refocus for every rotation and when you want to change the filter on top of the CC, you need to unscrew to whole thing...Doesnt sound very  comfortable to use, but might be worth it.

6 hours ago, Bibabutzemann said:

Thanks! I dont do it too often too. I think its a way more interesting target for longer focal length.

Image rotation would work, because there is a lock ring. But you have to refocus for every rotation and when you want to change the filter on top of the CC, you need to unscrew to whole thing...Doesnt sound very  comfortable to use, but might be worth it.

Could be worth a try later. I plan on getting a dedicated OSC camera sometime soon and will see if I have the same problem once I get the correct back focus set. 
I’m still working on guiding and dithering. Guiding was kinda ok but my first time dithering was 50/50. Still a lot to learn but I’m enjoying it.

6 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

Hi all

Just looking for your opinions on the maximum weight you can comfortably hang off your stock 130PDS focuser without introducing tilt ?

At the moment one pair of jeans and an old summer coat!!!! I really need to strip my kit down for cleaning and get it all back up and running.

7 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

Just looking for your opinions on the maximum weight you can comfortably hang off your stock 130PDS focuser without introducing tilt ?

Not sure of the weight, but mine can handle an asi1600, filter wheel and coma corrector without trouble.

It needed careful adjusting though.

Edited by Whistlin Bob

11 hours ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Not sure of the weight, but mine can handle an asi1600, filter wheel and coma corrector without trouble.

It needed careful adjusting though.

Thanks. I used to use a similar setup on my old 130PDS. ASI 1600, ZWO EFW, ZWO OAG + camera and TS GPU CC (a little larger/heavier than a MPCC), weighed it all at just under 1.3KG in total and the focuser didn't like that at all ! I got obvious tilt that couldn't be fixed whatever I tried, ended up swapping to a better focuser and that sorted it. 

I'm back with a new 130PDS, thinking about OSC this time, maybe investing in an APS-C format tho. They are a bit heavier than the 4/3 format cameras. 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @alacant

Following our chat earlier,

Is there anything obvious that you can see I should do to improve performance?

I'm thinking the next steps could be;

- a longer dovetail or Losmandy plate

- possibly flocking the interior although not too pushed on that

Cheers

IMG_20220331_160041.thumb.jpg.5b8801d21cb54b58d39d47243674fb97.jpg

IMG_20220331_160114.thumb.jpg.41a41d1f2f461545d78ae71fa292c109.jpg

Edited by Pitch Black Skies

It's been a long time since I posted anything. Not had a lot of clear nights to get out but I have been imaging M101 - The Pinwheel Galaxy since January and managed 6 sessions on it. Sadly, due to haze, a lot of hours worth of data has been junked but I kept the best and have now lost count of hour many hours this image actually consists of. I think around 14hrs in total.

I'm not a fan of galaxy imaging and I find processing them even more difficult. I need way more practice! But, 'tis the season.....

Sky Watcher 130PDS
HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
ZWO ASI294MC Pro - Cooled -10°
TS-Optics GPU Superflat Coma Corrector
Optolong L-Enhance - Optolong L-Pro
Orion 50mm Guide Scope & Orion Star Shoot Auto Guider
Pegasus Powerbox Advance
Astro Photography Tools & PHD2
Astro Pixel Processor, Photoshop & Starnet++
Bortle 8 Skies!

1000619166_Pinwheel_APP_Edit1.thumb.jpg.ec9d3abb8c31550c4bd13defc339bc6b.jpg

• Like 9

On 31/03/2022 at 16:15, Pitch Black Skies said:

Hi @alacant

Following our chat earlier,

Is there anything obvious that you can see I should do to improve performance?

I'm thinking the next steps could be;

- a longer dovetail or Losmandy plate

- possibly flocking the interior although not too pushed on that

Cheers

IMG_20220331_160041.thumb.jpg.5b8801d21cb54b58d39d47243674fb97.jpg

IMG_20220331_160114.thumb.jpg.41a41d1f2f461545d78ae71fa292c109.jpg

@alacant

On 04/04/2022 at 00:21, Jamgood said:

I'm not a fan of galaxy imaging and I find processing them even more difficult. I need way more practice! But, 'tis the season.....

Nice one, i totally agree on the processing part. I try to process my M101 right now, and its really not easy. The colour balance of M101 is still a mystery to me :D

M13 Cluster

106x60s@ISO1600

130PDS + EOS 1200DAC + EXOS 2 PMC8

m13_02.jpg

Edited by Bibabutzemann
  • Like 7

Hi all,

I'm trying to get to grips with why I'm getting vignetting with my ASI1600 and 130PDS.

I'm using the 8 position EFW with 1.25 inch mounted ZWO filters, and the Sky-Watcher 0.9x coma corrector. I'm looking into various fixes, including the TS Optics non-reducing coma corrector, but if anyone has a similar (ideally identical!) optical train, and they're NOT getting vignetting, it would be good to know. It's definitely all set up correctly.

Thanks, Brendan

6 minutes ago, BrendanC said:

Hi all,

I'm trying to get to grips with why I'm getting vignetting with my ASI1600 and 130PDS.

I'm using the 8 position EFW with 1.25 inch mounted ZWO filters, and the Sky-Watcher 0.9x coma corrector. I'm looking into various fixes, including the TS Optics non-reducing coma corrector, but if anyone has a similar (ideally identical!) optical train, and they're NOT getting vignetting, it would be good to know. It's definitely all set up correctly.

Thanks, Brendan

I used to have a 130PDS with an ASI 1600, 1.25 filters and the TS GPU (non-reducing) corrector. Got vignetting with that set up but just took flats, they sorted it out.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 17:15, Pitch Black Skies said:

the next steps

Dovetail, 1° springs, mirror clips, sealant, top rail... Those are the main ones.

From what we can see, you may want to replace the metal finder retaining screws with all nylon varieties, especially if they are the glued nylon tipped ones.

Unless you have any obvious reflections, we didn't find blackening the tube made any difference. 

Otherwise, it looks like the basis for a good solid setup.

HTH

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BrendanC said:

Hi all,

Thanks, Brendan

Every Scope gives you vignetting. There is no way around flats. As long es the vignetting is centered,, everything is fine.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

I used to have a 130PDS with an ASI 1600, 1.25 filters and the TS GPU (non-reducing) corrector. Got vignetting with that set up but just took flats, they sorted it out.

Quick question: what was your opinion of the TS GPU corrector? I keep hearing good things about it and am tempted.

Just now, BrendanC said:

Quick question: what was your opinion of the TS GPU corrector? I keep hearing good things about it and am tempted.

The MPCC mk3 I was using was quite faffy with spacing and felt sort of wobbly in the focuser tube sometimes, it never gave great stars to the edge consistently for me. I thought the GPU was way better, I found it dead easy to space, it felt solid and couldn't tilt at all in the focuser tube due to its long straight edged design. It gave nice round stars to the edge with the ASI 1600.

The only (BIG) problem I had was weight, which caused focuser tilt, but this was because I had the ASI 1600, EFW, GPU CC, OAG + guide camera hanging off it, nearly 1.3kg in total and the focuser didn't like it at all. Ended up fitting a new focuser which cost more than the telescope ! 

Anyway I've just bought another 130PDS and have bought the SW aplanatic CC for it this time. This is identical to the GPU corrector except the collar is not removable on the SW. I contacted TS to ask about this and they confirmed it is the same CC from the same factory. Only got the SW aplanatic because it is a little cheaper than the GPU and much easier to source in the UK. I'm going to use it with a OSC, no EFW or OAG this time, so hopefully weight/focuser tilt won't be an issue.

• Thanks 1

Well last weekend I took again my 130PDS Moonlite tuned to the skies in La Mancha (Spain). Here the result around the Leo Triplet.

3.5h with the QHY168C Gain 10, Offset 50, Temp : -10ºC

Cheers.

20220402_211114.jpg

Triplete_de_Leo.jpg

• Like 9

@Spaced Out Hey, I think I just realised, you're the first person I found when I Googled for 130PDS and ASI1600! https://twitter.com/northumb_astro/status/1348964180146212870

I know this is a big ask, but given that you know what to expect from this kit, would you mind taking a very quick look at four of my individual flats and letting me know whether they look about right to you?

They're here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqovBuVZMwj3kvU5Oenqb053RaZT2Q?e=PweYkj

I also included the four calibrated master flats in a subfolder if that's relevant.

No problem if not, you've already been very helpful.

Edited by BrendanC

4 hours ago, alacant said:

Dovetail, 1° springs, mirror clips, sealant, top rail... Those are the main ones.

Can you elaborate on those ones please? I don't fully understand.

From what we can see, you may want to replace the metal finder retaining screws with all nylon varieties, especially if they are the glued nylon tipped ones.

Yeah they are the tipped ones. What's the reason?

Unless you have any obvious reflections, we didn't find blackening the tube made any difference. 

Great, wasn't too keen on flocking it.

Otherwise, it looks like the basis for a good solid setup.

Cheers

Alan

2 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

The only (BIG) problem I had was weight, which caused focuser tilt, but this was because I had the ASI 1600, EFW, GPU CC, OAG + guide camera hanging off it, nearly 1.3kg in total and the focuser didn't like it at all. Ended up fitting a new focuser which cost more than the telescope ! 

I always thought the focuser is really stable. I would have thought flex in the tube would be a bigger concern then the focuser. 

How did you measure the weight induced tilt?