Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

Mine ready and waiting for the darkness to come and the clouds to go. Far far away. 
9F55EAFB-A4B6-47E4-8891-7CE78E154E71.thumb.jpeg.6ebf53e97866af256311cd7b25c2ce46.jpeg

2 hours ago, alacant said:

... in the local bar;)

¡Muy español! 😃 (Very Spanish custom!). I miss it badly. 😭

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Pitch Black Skies said:

You can balance yours with just 1 counterweight?

I haven't even got an EAF and the scope side is still too heavy to do that.

my 130 PDS is balanced exactly like Jamgoods on my HEQ5 with one Counterweight.

But nothing wrong having two counterweights closer to the mount, because less torque. 

Edited by Bibabutzemann
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pitch Black Skies said:

You can balance yours with just 1 counterweight?

I haven't even got an EAF and the scope side is still too heavy to do that.

Yeah, I always use the one weight. It is about a thumbnail away from the end of the pole and the balance is spot on. 

I used to use two further up like you and I know that many people recommend that but I don't have any issue with one weight far down. The guiding speaks for itself for me and I'm happy with the results. If it ain't broke.....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jamgood said:

I always use the one weight.

Strange, I can't do that. Maybe the new style mount has a shorter bar?

One weight would be handier for me, literally. I always move it fully assembled.

Edited by Pitch Black Skies

36 minutes ago, Pitch Black Skies said:

For DEC only though, is that correct? I'm thinking as long as RA is balanced, the load on the motor is the same.

Post a pic of your setup 😃

I mixed something up. The moment of intertia gets reduced (not the torque), which makes the system more stable in the RA axis.

Here is my setup in use (ready for taking flats)

Cable management is a bit chaotic, because im still experimenting with my peltier cooled DSLR. Finally found a fan that doesnt cause vibrations (thx 'be quiet!')

IMG_20220502_031203.thumb.jpg.93b8a342dcaeaa2f7ee58ad5961b7e70.jpg

Same night i was able to resolve a star which is 61mio. light years away!

SupernovaNGC4647.thumb.jpg.18019c9f72e39a246d5ad42ab91c3758.jpg

Ok its an exploding star, but that still counts 🧐

Because of limited view, only 7min exposure time.

• Like 5

I’m considering getting my first reflector for imaging and this 130pds seems like a great place to start.  I already have a small refractor (WO Z61) with guide scope & camera but would need a new mount to go with, what recommendations would you have?  I see FLO do a package of the 130 + an EQ3 Pro mount, however once camera (DSLR atm), guide scope/cam and all the accessories get added on it might be pushing the stated 5kg weight capacity?

Clearly something along the lines of an HEQ5 Pro (or larger) would solve any issues, however I need to consider both storage and cost - ideally I’d have change left from £1000 for scope, mount, collimating tool, coma corrector, dew heater/hood, so an HEQ5 Pro is a little OTT.  I’d be controlling it via my ASI Air Pro + iPad rather than a laptop so whatever mount must be compatible there.

Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, herne said:

HEQ5 Pro (or larger) would solve any issues, however I need to consider both storage

Storage wise, there isn't a huge difference. The tripod is the exact same. The head is heavier. From my experience, if you can at all get a HEQ5 if you can afford it. I think I have read that it's tracking is the same as an EQ6, but with the benefit/disadvantage of being lighter. One striking difference between the EQ5 Pro and HEQ5 pro is the amount of bearings used. On the EQ5 Pro there isn't ANY bearings on the DEC axis, and only 2 in the RA. On the HEQ5 there are 4 bearings in the DEC and 4 bearings in the RA. As you already know, in astrophotography the mount is considered the most important part and should be where the bulk of your funds are spent. That said, I know it's not an easy amount to cough up but it's money well spent.

HTH

Edited by Pitch Black Skies
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, herne said:

I’m considering getting my first reflector for imaging and this 130pds seems like a great place to start.  I already have a small refractor (WO Z61) with guide scope & camera but would need a new mount to go with, what recommendations would you have?  I see FLO do a package of the 130 + an EQ3 Pro mount, however once camera (DSLR atm), guide scope/cam and all the accessories get added on it might be pushing the stated 5kg weight capacity?

Clearly something along the lines of an HEQ5 Pro (or larger) would solve any issues, however I need to consider both storage and cost - ideally I’d have change left from £1000 for scope, mount, collimating tool, coma corrector, dew heater/hood, so an HEQ5 Pro is a little OTT.  I’d be controlling it via my ASI Air Pro + iPad rather than a laptop so whatever mount must be compatible there.

Thanks.

I used an EQ3 for 1.5 years with my 130PDS and i wasnt unhappy with it. But not all Eq3 have same perfomance, so maybe i was lucky with mine. And it struggled with long settle time after dithering and was more wind sensitive. If you want to play it save, go for the HEQ5. I got one used for same price as a new EQ3 and its a big step up. 

Edited by Bibabutzemann
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pitch Black Skies said:

Storage wise, there isn't a huge difference. The tripod is the exact same. The head is heavier. From my experience, if you can at all get a HEQ5 if you can afford it. I think I have read that it's tracking is the same as an EQ6, but with the benefit/disadvantage of being lighter. One striking difference between the EQ5 Pro and HEQ5 pro is the amount of bearings used. On the EQ5 Pro there isn't ANY bearings on the DEC axis, and only 2 in the RA. On the HEQ5 there are 4 bearings in the DEC and 4 bearings in the RA. As you already know, in astrophotography the mount is considered the most important part and should be where the bulk of your funds are spent. That said, I know it's not an easy amount to cough up but it's money well spent.

HTH

Good point about storage if the tripod is the same and I didn't realise about the bearings, plus I know there's a belt upgrade (if needed/wanted) for the HEQ5.  Something to ponder 👍.

• Like 1

I started out with an EQ3PRO and they are good little mounts. I never used it with a guide scope but without, using the 130PDS and a DSLR, I could expose for a maximum of 60 seconds without trails. Which was OK when I was learning.

It wasn't long (3 months) until I upgraded to the HEQ5PRO though which I got used from someone on here. I also got a guide scope and cam from the same person and the HEQ5PRO with guiding is great! I did the Rowan Belt Mod myself the week I got the mount. A worthy upgrade unless you can find one already done. 

If you can stretch the pennies, go for the HEQ5PRO. It'll save you having to spend more further down the line. If you can buy used, go for it. Most people really look after their gear and generally mod them to make them better. Win win. 👍

Leo Triplet from last night. I've been trying out autoguiding and it's not working out very well. See graph at bottom from session which gave me the image below! 

But as I only use 30 second exposures I can use most of them anyway.

Telescope: Skywatcher 130 PDS Newtonian - Baader MPCC (Needs a few more millimetres backspacing I think.)
Mount: Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 GT
Camera: ZWO ASI 533 MCP
650mm f/5 gain100 best 91 of 108x30s

LeoTriplet3.thumb.jpg.d6cc7c7b2e7d31d58fcbdbb92b72a543.jpg

2022-05-05_135849.thumb.jpg.2ce68d2c2db1bce9762164e2f084eae5.jpg
  • Like 5

On 05/05/2022 at 15:03, Jim Smith said:

Leo Triplet from last night. I've been trying out autoguiding and it's not working out very well. See graph at bottom from session which gave me the image below! 

But as I only use 30 second exposures I can use most of them anyway.

Telescope: Skywatcher 130 PDS Newtonian - Baader MPCC (Needs a few more millimetres backspacing I think.)
Mount: Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 GT
Camera: ZWO ASI 533 MCP
650mm f/5 gain100 best 91 of 108x30s

LeoTriplet3.thumb.jpg.d6cc7c7b2e7d31d58fcbdbb92b72a543.jpg

2022-05-05_135849.thumb.jpg.2ce68d2c2db1bce9762164e2f084eae5.jpg

this looks strange. Are you sure the mount received guiding commands? Normally you can hear that. What type of guiding setup are you using? Ascom Pulse Guiding? 

Im still impressed of how much signal you could gather. Do you have low light pollution?

Edited by Bibabutzemann
  • Like 1

On 05/05/2022 at 15:03, Jim Smith said:

graph at bottom from session which gave me the image below

Hi

I doubt the graph corresponds to the image, but who cares? Look at the image, not the graph!

For such a short length of time, it's an excellent shot, with nice stars which are free from the usual skywatcher diffraction spikes and Baader cc edge abberations. You have a well collimated, adjusted and tweaked 130pds there. Like it.

Cheers

ss_1.thumb.png.9595da8e9c5d4154f6693fc41c3da2d8.png

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibabutzemann said:

this looks strange. Are you sure the mount received guiding commands? Normally you can hear that. What type of guiding setup are you using? Ascom Pulse Guiding? 

Im still impressed of how much signal you could gather. Do you have low light pollution?

I'm new to autoguiding so I'm not tuned into the mount noises yet. I zoomed in to the graph in the log viewer and there are lots of long pulses shown. It was trying. I don't think the scope was very stable relative to the dovetail bar in the mount. The tube rings were only about 4" apart for various reasons. I received a new longer dovetail bar today and my new configuration will be much more stable. I'm going to try that out and see if it helps.

Yes, Ascom pulse guiding - EQMOD and PHD2

I'm Bortle 4.

Edited by Jim Smith
Addenda

29 minutes ago, alacant said:

I doubt the graph corresponds to the image, but who cares? Look at the image, not the graph!

For such a short length of time, it's an excellent shot, with nice stars which are free from the usual skywatcher diffraction spikes and Baader cc edge abberations. You have a well collimated, adjusted and tweaked 130pds there. Like it.

Exposures are timestamped from 22:40 to 23:35 and I only had one mount set up so I think they are coincident with the graph.

Thanks. I was pleased with the result. It made me wonder if autoguiding is worth the effort for 30s subs at 650mm focal length. I might throw away fewer exposures but if I spend time getting autoguiding to work is it gaining me anything?  I will try again though.