NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

So I've chosen my scope... how does one persuade the better half?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Explain that now she'll know exactly where you are at night, in the back garden, rather than down the pub or round at the house of a 'friend'.  Of course you could always try to get her interested in your hobby as well.

Play the first 2 minutes of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, go on to "heavens Above" website and find out the time of a suitable iridium flash, show her the green flash and convince her that you need the 'scope to spot the Martians. Job jobbed

or... buy it and downplay its size and cost. then put it straight in the garage when its delivered and say nothing about it or the cost.

then after a couple of weeks when she goes in the garage and sees the size of it, too late to return it then :grin:

this is exactly how i got away with my 12" dob.

Explain that now she'll know exactly where you are at night, in the back garden, rather than down the pub or round at the house of a 'friend'.  Of course you could always try to get her interested in your hobby as well.

Seriously, I think that's a good point. At least she knows exactly where you are, and what you're up to......

My wife is a very supportive person, but you can lessen the impact on home life by being as considerate as poss.

If you are in the back garden very late, keep any noise to an absolute minimum, and when you pack up and come indoors, do that quietly as well.

I leave my jimjams in the living room, peel off my layers and dress for bed, causes minimum disruption.

If you take an interest in her hobbies, that helps too.

Regards, Ed.

same as I do with my Guitars and other gear I buy, Lie

when I bought my scope the Mrs asked me how much, so I showed her the scope on line

"so its only £350" she asks and I said "Yes", well she never asked how much the mount & GoTo was :lipsrsealed:

It is very simple. Tell her:

1/ what you have done BEFORE it arrives

2/ that you got it off ebay for a song (avoid mentioning a number if at all possible - she will recognise the tactic but be unable to call you on it having employed same tactic herself many times...)

3/ that you didn't mean to buy it - your bid was ludicrously low and never in a million years did you think that you would get it. The perils of après beer bidding.

4/ it isn't for you - it is for the children

5/ when it arrives act genuinely surprised at the size of it - imeadetely offer to build a shed for it in the garden so that it doesn't cluster up the house (Posssiblly with a roll on/off roof....)

Good luck

Paul

same as I do with my Guitars and other gear I buy, Lie

when I bought my scope the Mrs asked me how much, so I showed her the scope on line

"so its only £350" she asks and I said "Yes", well she never asked how much the mount & GoTo was :lipsrsealed:

Sounds similar to when I bought my TV-76. The next day, I went out and bought a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6. When she got home, as ridiculous as it looked, I had the 76 mounted up on it. She just assumed they must have come together. If she knew the mount cost more than the scope, she'd have had something to say!!

Don't if possible have it sent to your address, have it sent elsewhere (work or friends)..........don't tell her, my misses hates the fact ive got interest in astronomy, and I wanna get any parts........or pick up from shop. Failing that get her a bunch of flowers, and lie about the price of it, (if its £200...tell her its £100).................

ALL depends on the better half. After some early skirmishes, I have won the battle of wills, and a sense of resignation hangs in the air when the postlady arrives......

Still, cheaper and less time consuming than golf........or......at least the time spent is when evyone is in bed, i.e. doesn't count..

Barry

This reminds me of the words in an astronomers last Will and testament

"Tell my wife to sell my kit for what it's worth, not what I told you I paid for it....."

Always brings a smile, we're all the same.

Except me, who fully informs my wife of all pending late night, post beer, clouded out, envy fuelled, self deluding astro related purchases, ahem.

Barry

I use an Ebay formula giving points and value to purchases. I've just got my 12mm BST on the strength of two pairs of shoes, a handbag and a nightie.<br />

(I suppose I ought to buy somethig for the wife as well:D)<br />

<br />

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk<br />

<br />

Archived