Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So I've chosen my scope... how does one persuade the better half?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could work :) is our anniversary soon, what better way to treat her than a night in a posh hotel then myself for being such a good husband

Hi Jim,  you could do worse than The Talbot Inn in Mells which is a couple of country miles from Frome, which has crafty/boutiquey/boho/vintage shopping for your good lady and The Telescope Shop should you fancy a 'oh! fancy that!' type browse. Top tip, walk UP Catherine street and do the boho bit, which then neatly drops you at the door of the shop of temptation.  Winner!

Thanks for the "likes" on my earlier post all those who did. But I have to make a confession - I'm one of the luckiest amateurs in the world in that I have a missus who's into astronomy as much as me. Though not so much the technical aspects - she's more of an observer and imager than researching and assembling gear.

Basically if I set it up - she'll look through it and image it - and she comes out on most dark site observing sessions with me. So my advice on "divorce" is very tongue in cheek lol.

I once got her a top of the (then) range Ipad for xmas and she got me an Ethos 3.7mm SX. And she didn't bat an eyelid when I purchased a brand new 16" Lightbridge and AZEQ6GT together as package - she couldn't wait for me to set it up. She even once suggested I sell our 12" flextube dob and put the money towards a 11" Edge HD (I didn't do that one).

I couldn't be luckier or happier - so when I say "Buy it and get a divorce" treat my advice with serious caution. lol :grin: :grin:

My wife and I talk things like this over - I showed her what the 'scope would look like, how much it cost, what we could see through it, how I intended to get it to the observing site, how big it is etc.

When she walked in and saw it last night her first words were, "That's enormous! You never said it'd be that big!" Which goes to show she doesn't necessarily listen... Possibly it's a size thing - being 4'10'' I suppose it would appear bigger. I think it's big and can't believe that most people consider it a small scope.

I have tried to get her involved in astronomy. She finds it fascinating but doesn't like the more uncomfortable side - the standing around in the cold trying to find things bit.

DD

My wife and I talk things like this over - I showed her what the 'scope would look like, how much it cost, what we could see through it, how I intended to get it to the observing site, how big it is etc.

When she walked in and saw it last night her first words were, "That's enormous! You never said it'd be that big!" Which goes to show she doesn't necessarily listen... Possibly it's a size thing - being 4'10'' I suppose it would appear bigger. I think it's big and can't believe that most people consider it a small scope.

I have tried to get her involved in astronomy. She finds it fascinating but doesn't like the more uncomfortable side - the standing around in the cold trying to find things bit.

DD

We generally call a large scope as one with 14"+ aperture :D.

I'm just lucky too. After buying me a Astromaster 70eq for Xmas, the wife was 'reasonably' happy when I said can I have a bigger one? :) hence buying the 200 Dob 5 days after Xmas. Fully supported and up front is the way to go!

I guess, to offer any relevancy to this thread, I need to purchase a wife...if I go for an expensive one, will she come pre-frowned?

Yes, I think that's standard spec.

Joking, of course. Or am I ?

Barry

• 3 months later...

I am lucky I suppose. we both get guilt free spends each month with which we do what we want. it's not a lot but with birthdays, anniversaries, father's day, Christmas day etc I get enough each year for my fix and just have to save. if I sell something it goes back in my astro pot so in time I can pretty much buy what I want. no lies or guilt (or hopefully divorce!).

Maybe it's a little 'boring' but works for us :smiley:

When you earn it you can spend it!!! That's all you need to say!!

Oh and buy a hard hat! Hard hats are really fashionable and trendy nowadays

If that doesn't work tell its eiher a telenightlifescope or the pub and at least with a scope she'll know where you are at night!!

My wife likes me to buy astro stuff. At least she knows where I am *. When I started talking about getting an earring and you know, maybe a sports car, she was more than happy for me to buy a big frac "instead". ;)

Seriously, I work hard for our spending money, as does she. So any spare after bills/savings gets put in virtual pots for things we would like. Lloyds must hate us, I think we have seven online savings accounts, all with daft names.

Cheers

Ian

* - When I first moved to this area, not long before we got married (my wife had lived here for years), I was excited about being able to get up onto the Cotswold escarpment for some darker skies. I'd go up to some of the natural viewpoints with binos/small fracs for hours after work. Turned out the two spots I went to were major hotspots for those, shall we say, of interesting nocturnal activities. I always thought these spots were busy (embarrassed face)

Archived