NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

So I've chosen my scope... how does one persuade the better half?

A nice meal and shopping trip as a "just being the good husband that hasn't paid you much attention lately and don't forget its a nice resturant so you need a new dress" tatic. Then after a few days you can ask her to return the favour.   :evil:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez, guys - don't blow all the tricks out of the water - there could be wives reading this forum!

Seriously, and assuming you can still afford it having bought your scope,  try a surprise couple of nights away in a country pub; good food, wine, roaring fires and a bit of romance. Works wonders. My wife bought me a telescope after just such a weekend!

I'm fortunate I don't have to indulge in subterfuge, SWMBO usually says "If you want it have it". The only problem with this is that it makes me feel so guilty that I normally postpone the purchase.

Damn those women with their crazy logic!

The other tactic is somewhat attritional. Which is not generally a good tactic but in this case relies on the male trait of "researching every purchase to an extraordinary level of detail".

Talk her through the entire decision making process as you are making it, complete with a run down of the different options and detailed content of the 50 "what eyepiece/which scope" threads that are contributing to / solving your dilemma. After a week of this, two at the outside, she will be begging you to buy it.

Paul

PS. Sadly it does work both ways. The kitchen makeover starts next week after an incessant "which tile/cooker/worktop" barrage from my lovely wife. I wouldn't mind. But I do most of the cooking and I really really haven't got a problem with the kitchen as is.

Tricky, I did it in stages. Got a cheap 130P, then...

upgraded the mount. 'What's that, was that there before?' - 'Oh, it's just a slightly better mount' (HEQ5 Pro :D ), 'nothing more....'

then later on, ST80 added, guider, coma corrector, the a new OTA... 

In-between various accessories, eyepieces and so on.

Chipping away at it makes the impact less shocking! :) If I'd have gone to the shop and picked it all up at once there may have been some explaining to do :s

If you've gone and got the whole thing, heaven help you - hehe. Maybe flowers and offer to take her away for a nice weekend, that usually works.

The other tactic is somewhat attritional. Which is not generally a good tactic but in this case relies on the male trait of "researching every purchase to an extraordinary level of detail".

Talk her through the entire decision making process as you are making it, complete with a run down of the different options and detailed content of the 50 "what eyepiece/which scope" threads that are contributing to / solving your dilemma. After a week of this, two at the outside, she will be begging you to buy it.

Paul

PS. Sadly it does work both ways. The kitchen makeover starts next week after an incessant "which tile/cooker/worktop" barrage from my lovely wife. I wouldn't mind. But I do most of the cooking and I really really haven't got a problem with the kitchen as is.

I like this method, yes, I do. However, if it comes to it, I know I'll be battered to a pulp, i.e. €200 EP vs bathroom !!!!

Tell the.....kids.....I.......love them....(sound of last breath being exhaled..)

Barry

Jeez, guys - don't blow all the tricks out of the water - there could be wives reading this forum!

Seriously, and assuming you can still afford it having bought your scope, try a surprise couple of nights away in a country pub; good food, wine, roaring fires and a bit of romance. Works wonders. My wife bought me a telescope after just such a weekend!

Nice !!

Thing is though, you don't really know what your good lady treated herself to after that weekend

I just buy what i want and she generally signs for it, i would think its in triple figures now the various deliveries, had 4 from FLO in the last 4 weeks, not a word said now, i have " Won" the final test will be the large Dob when i have added the small room for it on the back of "that shed"  to store it in...:)

The kitchen makeover starts next week after an incessant "which tile/cooker/worktop" barrage from my lovely wife. I wouldn't mind. But I do most of the cooking and I really really haven't got a problem with the kitchen as is.

Yes and having spent ££££s on a new kitchen the wife wants a BBQ, so that you can go back to the stone age. Just no logic in the feminine mind

Seriously, and assuming you can still afford it having bought your scope, try a surprise couple of nights away in a country pub; good food, wine, roaring fires and a bit of romance. Works wonders. My wife bought me a telescope after just such a weekend!

This could work :) is our anniversary soon, what better way to treat her than a night in a posh hotel then myself for being such a good husband

Seriously, and assuming you can still afford it having bought your scope,  try a surprise couple of nights away in a country pub; good food, wine, roaring fires and a bit of romance. Works wonders. My wife bought me a telescope after just such a weekend!

Just don't pick a nice dark site and take your scope  :eek:

Yes and having spent ££££s on a new kitchen the wife wants a BBQ, so that you can go back to the stone age. Just no logic in the feminine mind

Mmmmm , I thought it was just men that had a thing for BBQs. You know what I mean, 7 types of meat and a nod to health with a lonely lettuce leaf ostracised at the edge of the plate

Barry

Perhaps I am one of the luckier ones, after all the missus like a little bit of astronomy too.  When I broke the news to her how some future  purchases are going to be  set me back around 250 each per eyepiece new, with the benefit of the long term, she said "makes sense"  it is not much money after all if it us a lifelong hobby or something you love.  Discussion done ! No need for the justifications dear :smiley:  If I pay for something myself there is not even a need for a discussion unless it puts a stopper on something  we both agree on that is planned/agreed, but I/we don't let that sort of thing happen.

Building trust is a much better option in the long run.  If you like camping out in your 50 inch Dobsonian tube out on the street do as you wish   :grin:

After all, next money on house 2k quote for re pointing some walls in spring ( luckily the last major job ) , last month new boiler and heating upgrade 2.5 K !  Astro does not always seem that expensive in the scheme of things but the bigger things takes priority when needed.  

Some great ideas here, pity I'm finished spending, as I have all I need.......silence, followed by everyone bursting out laughing.

"No, really" , I protest, being drowned out by the uproarious laughter

Barry

Archived