Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The 30 Minute Challenge

Stevie P

You do realise you have just opened the Lunar floodgates. We will be swamped with 1/1250s photos ;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

I hope not.. we shall see, I have hundreds of them...lol

was kinda hoping for a little more, maybe I should of thought about a little tighter set of rules...

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope not.. we shall see, I have hundreds of them...lol

was kinda hoping for a little more, maybe I should of thought about a little tighter set of rules...

I at least will stick to deep sky objects, don't worry - my field of view is too wide for good planetary results anyway. Although the bright ones like M42 and M31 are likely to be the most successful, of course.

I at least will stick to deep sky objects, don't worry - my field of view is too wide for good planetary results anyway. Although the bright ones like M42 and M31 are likely to be the most successful, of course.

Good for you, looking forward too it, I haven't been able to attempt M42 yet as position and timing has never been right...

Just waiting for it to get a little higher in the sky and a hunting I will go...

Great idea Stevie and some great shots to open the '30 minute Season' - Great to see these produced with almost identical kit to my own over such short integrations.

Definitely in - but a quick clarification prior to entering the frame: are you permitting cherry picking of the best subs from longer runs, or is the 30 minute window a hard limit on total light frame capture?

Now where did I put that focal reducer ;)

Can the image be less than 30 minutes? Many of my attempts are on the shortish side..........

M51 galaxy- 140 seconds

Pelican Nebula, Cygnus- 300 seconds

North American Nebula Cygnus- 225 seconds

Sadr region, Cygnus- 300s

Stunned by these images and the short integration times - got to be seriously galling for them APO boys ;)

Loving these images folks.

Here's my entry into the game, the result of last night, my first session with guiding:

post-29321-0-39064300-1385465441_thumb.j

M45 - 1 x 1200s, no darks or anything and a quick fiddle in photoshop.

All the images posted so far are superb given the limitation and it does go to show that, while much can be acheived with little, oh so much can be acheived with lots!

Clear Skies.

Great idea Stevie and some great shots to open the '30 minute Season' - Great to see these produced with almost identical kit to my own over such short integrations.

Definitely in - but a quick clarification prior to entering the frame: are you permitting cherry picking of the best subs from longer runs, or is the 30 minute window a hard limit on total light frame capture?

Now where did I put that focal reducer ;)

I think that is permissible.. To be fair My M31 had more subs but they had to be scrapped due to "blobby" stars... Kind of where the seed for this germinated really...

Hi

The 30 minutes includes setup time ? Yes ? :wink:

Neil

Oh but of course... 30 mins to set up.. Polar align.. 3 star alignment, decide what to go for, find, frame and expose... personally I would still be at dragging the gear outside at the end of the 30 mins, have to stop half way for a coffee break..

Oh but of course... 30 mins to set up.. Polar align.. 3 star alignment, decide what to go for, find, frame and expose... personally I would still be at dragging the gear outside at the end of the 30 mins, have to stop half way for a coffee break..

And for the people with Obsys, a mandatory 15 minutes running their hands under ice cold water before they start  :evil:

Here is my effort no good sky lately so 15 mins to carry kit out and polar align 7 x 60s subs 4 flats with the wo zs71 at f4 ish and canon oh and 5 mins to get kit back inside. Will do some proper ones when the weather is better.

post-32578-0-38868800-1385478355_thumb.j

Probably not- just look the stars at the edges of my shots. Round stars and superfast Newtonians are mutually exclusive I reckon!

There is that, but perhaps a high end cc or win corrector might help - though not going to be cheap @ F2.9.

I think the high end OO AG astrographs come with a custom designed corrector - though not a cheap alternative to a big triplet APO.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

Canon 7D with 70-200mm f/4L IS lens @ 200mm.

10 x 90 second lights (f/4, ISO 640).

AstroTrac TT320X

Though this is cheating since it was done at the in-laws in Lincolnshire not my back garden....your rules need to be a bit more specific :grin:

gallery_27141_2403_318439.jpg

No problem with location, only the sub duration was in the "rules", excellent image..

Archived