Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The 30 Minute Challenge

Stevie P

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some of my 30 minutes and under Nikon D50 DSLR images.

NGC 1977 - 3 x 10 minute exposures, ISO 400. A first experiment at 10 minute subs with a low ISO. No darks, flats or bias.

ngc1977c.jpg

M 44, 30 minutes guided in 5 minute ISO 400 subs on a misty night.

m44a.jpg

M 101 Unguided, approximately 20 minutes exposure in 1 minute subs.

m101_sn2011fe.jpg

M 10 - 2 x 5 minute subs at ISO 400 on 19-04-13

m10a.jpg

M 12 - 2 x 5 minute subs at ISO 400 on 19-04-13

m12a.jpg

NGC 40 Planetary Nebula. 24 minutes of 3 minute exposures, ISO 800. 03-09-13.

ngc40a.jpg

Some lovely images here. I suspect there are lots of people who do a bit of imaging but never want to reveal their efforts as they feel they are too "amateurish" compared with some of the great work on here; i like the fact this thread give those people an opportunity [excuse] to show what wonderful stuff is being doing.

James

We have to start somewhere and we will only learn through critique.

If someone takes the proverbial out of your work then they are of no use to you.

I'm doing things that I know should not work but I have to give it a go to prove to myself it cannot be done.

If you get my drift. :grin:

Keep posting there are some good images on here considering the time limit.

my scope time is unfortunately too limited to experiment (will be in Spain next weekend, yay, hope for clear skies and bits of Ison debris !  not planning to sleep...)

But most of my earlier stuff is less than 30 minutes total exposure - think my favourite is till this one, 5x 3mins:

Im definately game for this :)  Total noob to AP and i dont have a guide mount so was looking at doing short exposure (1.6 seconds) stills and stacking them in DSS.  Found a great toturial on youtube

from a while back and going to adapt this method to my new SW 220p/EQ5 and see what happens.  Wether permitting of course lol!  Havnt had a clear sky since i bought the scope.

Great idea Stevie P. I like a challenge, but recently the biggest challenge has been getting 30 minutes of clear skies :rolleyes:

It's therefore reassuring to see that some fabulous results can be obtain in relatively short timescales.

Anyway, here are a few images I've obtained recently - the AP kit I've got is still relatively new to me and image processing is not something I'm very good at, but at this stage in my astrophotography journey I'm quite pleased with them.

post-23986-0-31620700-1385821865_thumb.j

Orion Nebula etc (12min total exposure time)

post-23986-0-80681900-1385822720_thumb.j

Rosette Nebula (8min total exposure time)

post-23986-0-06121200-1385822901_thumb.j

M13 (single 1min exposure)

Space ranger, lovely images. My phone doesn't show your signature; what kit are you using and imaging with?

James

Thanks James. All were imaged with a Canon 650D and Celestron advanced VX mount. M42 and the Rosette nebula were using a Skywatcher 80ED refractor and M13 was with a celestron 6" SCT. Light frames only - no darks, bias frames taken.

Am very new to this & still have loads to learn, here's M43 with 100 x 10s ISO400. I used PixInsight to stack, no darks yet just lights... still going through tutorials to get my head around this stuff! Canon 60Da + 250mm lens

M43 - Orion Nebula

That's NGC 1977. M43 The De Mairan's Nebula, is the coma shaped nebula just above M42.

Ah, my bad!!!

Having now looked on Stellerium is can see how far out I was with my alignment..

Anyway here is my attempt at M43 NGC1977 

Flame 'n Horsie in 30 mins:

gallery_26731_2892_2738381.png

Unmodded 1100D, SW Exp 200P + CC.   10 x 180s @ ISO800, 20 x Bias, no flats or darks - guided on HEQ5.

Not really enough lights to kill the noise and needed quite a stretch to reveal any contrast on the Horsehead - but pleased for a first pop at this target.

I think the new planetary neb to the centre right is a reflection artefact, but still trying to track this down!

Flame 'n Horsie in 30 mins:

gallery_26731_2892_2738381.png

Unmodded 1100D, SW Exp 200P + CC.   10 x 180s @ ISO800, 20 x Bias, no flats or darks - guided on HEQ5.

Not really enough lights to kill the noise and needed quite a stretch to reveal any contrast on the Horsehead - but pleased for a first pop at this target.

I think the new planetary neb to the centre right is a reflection artefact, but still trying to track this down!

Amazing given the time restraint...

Amazing given the time restraint...

Cheers Stevie - need to pluck the courage for the balance filter removal, but should vastly improve red response from camera.     Amazing bit of kit for £165 as a Canon refurb.

The extra half stop gained by the SW CC/FR really helps as well.

Cheers Stevie - need to pluck the courage for the balance filter removal, but should vastly improve red response from camera.     Amazing bit of kit for £165 as a Canon refurb.

The extra half stop gained by the SW CC/FR really helps as well.

I done mine the other week not had chance to use it yet...

I haven't actually been outside for any astronomy in a couple of months, but if we're allowed to 'submit' older images... this was 10 minutes... 

2x5 minutes, no darks, bias or flats... shot through high cloud, just before the thicker stuff arrived... I decided to process it anyway.

5341153790_60497aa667_z.jpg

Archived