Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The 30 Minute Challenge

Stevie P

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flame 'n Horsie in 30 mins:

Unmodded 1100D, SW Exp 200P + CC.   10 x 180s @ ISO800, 20 x Bias, no flats or darks - guided on HEQ5.

Not really enough lights to kill the noise and needed quite a stretch to reveal any contrast on the Horsehead - but pleased for a first pop at this target.

I think the new planetary neb to the centre right is a reflection artefact, but still trying to track this down!

You might want to check your adapters or inside of the focuser for any shiny bits. I was getting these the other night from a scuffed up M48-T2 adapter, went over the scuff marks with a sharpie and now its gone :)

You might want to check your adapters or inside of the focuser for any shiny bits. I was getting these the other night from a scuffed up M48-T2 adapter, went over the scuff marks with a sharpie and now its gone :)

Thanks - good pointer, I haven't had it apart so far, but think its probably something from the CC or outside. Not seen on my previous images with the 1100d and SW CC, though not had a really bright star in the fov.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

Should get a go tonight - hoping for a 30 minutes on  M45, no moon tonight so possibly another target if conditions hold - perhaps another run at M42?

The above post was meant to be with this...

bit odd quoting on your own post...lol

M42

16x30 second lights

4 darks

0 flats (still figuring out how to do them lol)

unguided, but my orion awesome autoguider package arrives soon  :grin:

i think the lack of red content will force me to get the screwdriver out to my 1100D sooner rather than later...

m42_final_zps5d86ca11.jpg

Some quick rough pics using my grab and go setup last night. I think my focus was slightly off and I didn’t get a chance to take any darks/flats/bias’ so the noise is pretty horrific:

M42 Not quite 30 mins ;-) 1 min 30 s

M42   04 12 2013   1 X1m & 1x30s Stacked Lights GIMPED filtered

Flame Nebula (NGC2024) 30x1m

NGC2024   04 12 2013   30 X 1m Stacked Lights GIMPED filtered

I feel that my grab and go setup is really coming along:

- SW Equinox 66

- Nikon D3100

- IOptron Smart EQ pro

- Triopo carbon fibre tripod

- Padded case for the mount head and Lowepro large lens case for the Equinox all in a molle rucksack

- "2 T Thread adapter, Nikon T adapter, 2” SW Light Pollution filter

The only issue now is that I need to find a way to put a findershoe on the Equinox so that I can guide using my finder guider. 

It is processed - not as much as I'd usually do, but some contrast enhancement along with the normal curves and levels. Yes the larger number of subs will combat noise - I've never looked at a stretched single sub before as I'd normally not look at them independently.

I managed to get some imaging done this weekend - was trying to get lots of data, but in particular only managed about 4 x3min frames of the whirlpool glxy before day dawned (I must be crazy), so will submit that to the challenge.  You'll have to wait though, coz I'm getting a Pixinsight licence for Xmas, so this and the other things I did will have to wait...

Quite interesting actually, went from dark night perfect frames to unusable light ones in a little over a qtr of an hour.

Well finally managed to get outside for a bit last night, decided I wanted to try something with a bit of "Red" in it so tried for  IC 1805, The Heart Nebula (well a bit of it), silly I know given the time limit but hey ho....

So here what I got, I clipped it a bit when playing with it but will have another go when I get a bit more time...

20 x 90s Lights

20 x 90s Darks

20 x Flats

20 x Bias

post-28743-0-65016200-1386690188_thumb.j

Me thinks I will be spending more time on this, unfortunately image will not be displayed in this thread...

Some good images appearing folks.

Some images from earlier this year trawled from my archive.......

M45 Pleiades 15 minutes (5 x 180s) ISO1600 12" F2.9 Newtonian scope.

_DSF8238_HSL_STACK_HSL_noels_1024V2_blue

M31 Andromeda 10 minutes (5 x 120s) ISO3200 12" F2.9 Newtonian scope.

_DSF8218_19_20_21_22_tonemapped_noels_10

The constellation of Cygnus in Ha light- 50mm lens, 7nm Ha filter 477 seconds

DSCF7326_1024_zpseff53393.jpg

Some good images appearing folks.

Some images from earlier this year trawled from my archive.......

M45 Pleiades 15 minutes (5 x 180s) ISO1600 12" F2.9 Newtonian scope.

_DSF8238_HSL_STACK_HSL_noels_1024V2_blue

M31 Andromeda 10 minutes (5 x 120s) ISO3200 12" F2.9 Newtonian scope.

_DSF8218_19_20_21_22_tonemapped_noels_10

The constellation of Cygnus in Ha light- 50mm lens, 7nm Ha filter 477 seconds

DSCF7326_1024_zpseff53393.jpg

Wow....there's a lot to be said for them fast newts :).. makes me wonder why I just bought a frac?

Archived