Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nicks90 said:

patchy cloud forecast for this evening, do i take a chance and get the scope out? Wall to wall cloud forecast for the rest of the week and weekend so might be the only chance for a week or more.

Clear over Ossett at moment

33 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Secondary holder is not playing ball.  Thanks for the offer Mark but I think there's only me can sort this out.

Fingers crossed for you Damian. We're all behind you and praying it'll suddenly decide to co-operate with you. Keep us posted buddy :)

34 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Secondary holder is not playing ball.  Thanks for the offer Mark but I think there's only me can sort this out.

I'm sure you will sort it Damian, it must be maddening for you, but the finishing post is in sight remember that.

eric

37 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Any time just give me a shout. I'm sure you will figure it out just hope it's in time for Galloway 

1 hour ago, nicks90 said:

patchy cloud forecast for this evening, do i take a chance and get the scope out? Wall to wall cloud forecast for the rest of the week and weekend so might be the only chance for a week or more.

If it looks fairly clear with no rain, I'm going to try to get out to have a bash with this new camera. I just can't risk it if it looks like rain as it'll take me too long to get things packed away if it starts to come down. I'll see what it's doing in a couple of hours after dinner :)

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 15:23, Ryan P said:

This Hotech Collimator actually got me thinking. Why don't they incorporate the securing method from the Hotech into eyepieces and do away with thumscrews altogether? It would keep the eyepieces right in the centre where they should be.

I'm finding it harder to keep up to date with this new site - tends to be nearly 3 pages to catch up on.

Anyway, Ryan, does the 2" adapter on the hotech work like these: https://www.altairastro.com/altair-2-precision-self-centring-tube-with-35mm-barrel-twist-lock.html

This is what I have, also have a 2"->1.25" convertor version https://www.altairastro.com/altair-2-1.25-self-centering-eyepiece-adapter.html. So I was wondering if I was to get one of these, would I need the 2" version or can I save a few pennies and use the adapter I already have?

35 minutes ago, rockystar said:

I'm finding it harder to keep up to date with this new site - tends to be nearly 3 pages to catch up on.

Anyway, Ryan, does the 2" adapter on the hotech work like these: https://www.altairastro.com/altair-2-precision-self-centring-tube-with-35mm-barrel-twist-lock.html

This is what I have, also have a 2"->1.25" convertor version https://www.altairastro.com/altair-2-1.25-self-centering-eyepiece-adapter.html. So I was wondering if I was to get one of these, would I need the 2" version or can I save a few pennies and use the adapter I already have?

35 minutes ago, rockystar said:

It seems that quotes seem to be a bit random and out of sequence sometimes.

right so I have now ventured down a new route....turns out the astronomy world is built for windows but for my job i bought a mac.......tried using my new camera last night and the software for QHY kept crashing. Now i know why so i have had to put parallels on my mac to run both windows and OS X lol, I REFUSE to be beaten ha! 

40 minutes ago, adam_sage said:

right so I have now ventured down a new route....turns out the astronomy world is built for windows but for my job i bought a mac.......tried using my new camera last night and the software for QHY kept crashing. Now i know why so i have had to put parallels on my mac to run both windows and OS X lol, I REFUSE to be beaten ha! 

Most of the stuff is geared towards XP as far as I'm aware Adam 

56 minutes ago, adam_sage said:

Probably a good idea to invest in a PC based laptop if you plan to head down the astrophotography route! 

22 hours ago, mapstar said:

Any time just give me a shout. I'm sure you will figure it out just hope it's in time for Galloway 

1 hour ago, adam_sage said:

I could give you a £10 for the camera if you want ?

I agree Mark, amazing to think you can actually draw an inference of the shape of an occulting asteroid by the timings. Will be interesting to now find one that might happen soon.

Great curry and craic afterwards too...

Archived