SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 2STAR said:

hi Adam, I think Malham is probably one of my favourite places in the dales, and brings back fond memories from my youth and indeed my time in the 1970's and early 80' as a Physical Education Instructor in HMP Service when taking Young Offenders from Liverpool & Manchester out into the country side for the very first time, moving on, the 3 peaks are also a favourite of mine.

I would imagine it is a great place to view the night sky from but the roads are winding and up & down to get there on a night time would take quite a while as its difficult to get up a head of steam on the narrow lanes lol.

Eric 

That's more or less the area where I come from Eric, Malham cove is a fabulous place. When I still lived/worked up there I used to love getting jobs that way, anything out beyond Leyburn that involved driving through, and admiring, the scenery on the way to the job made me feel like James Herriot on his rounds!  I particularly used to like it when it had snowed, even if the roads were a bit precarious!

Kevin

1 hour ago, gtis said:

That reminds me I need a red headlight any recommend 

places to get one

neil

Petzl Tikka+ from all the usual camping suppliers,  Cotswold etc, bit pricey, but will turn on in red light mode

without having to go through the white light mode first

1 hour ago, hazegood said:

who is this vic the norml person you speak of? don't know her ;p

Vic the Normal had gone before I met you I think Leigh lol

I am really not getting on with this new forum. When I "quote" someone's post it brings through my previous text in the reply section which I have to delete before I type anything. Is anyone else experiencing this?

On a positive note, I have had 3 whole SGL notifications on my phone today.

It's hard work as it seems really slow to refresh, send posts and move around the forum.

Ursula no likey! :(

1 hour ago, hazegood said:

anyone noticed they have changes the sites layout in the last few minutes,  navigation was hard on the new (last version) its even worse now

Not spotted any difference on my phone, did just notice that there is a "theme" drop down at the bottom of the page though to make it look even worse still ;)

19 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Heads up WADAS dudes - set of 5 BST eyepieces in the classifieds for £160. Seems a great price at £32.00 each. I'd be on it like a car bonnet, but I have the 8mm and 18mm and he isn't splitting the set. Just letting you all know :)

Just get the lot Vicky and resell the ones you already have if you like the eyepieces that much. It's a shame not to get the rest of the set just cause you have 2 the same 

13 minutes ago, Mark62 said:

Just get the lot Vicky and resell the ones you already have if you like the eyepieces that much. It's a shame not to get the rest of the set just cause you have 2 the same 

If it had been next month I might have done that, but I think it might be a bridge too far after my spend on the cameras. Plus, I'll hopefully be getting my guidescope next week. I am going to leave them for someone else to enjoy lol.

I'll pick up odd ones as and when I see them to keep adding to my set :)

1 hour ago, Vicky050373 said:

Heads up WADAS dudes - set of 5 BST eyepieces in the classifieds for £160. Seems a great price at £32.00 each. I'd be on it like a car bonnet, but I have the 8mm and 18mm and he isn't splitting the set. Just letting you all know :)

I might take a look at your 8 and 18mm Vicky. I'll catch up with you this week sometime.

1 minute ago, astrotyke said:

I might take a look at your 8 and 18mm Vicky. I'll catch up with you this week sometime.

Any time Chris - you should have had a look when we did the scout meeting as I was using my 18mm for viewing The Pleiades. I'll have them with me next time I do any viewing as they are the only decent EPs I've got lol :)

It's early days with the new forum layout guys so just hang in there and things will improve.

If we all start to post in different forums and formats we'll lose the continuity of the thread and meetings.

27 minutes ago, adam_sage said:

Hey guys ive put up a group on whatsapp if anyone wants to join it inbox me your number and ill add you to the group as sgl is begining to irratate me lol

I don't really get WhatsApp yet Adam. I'm taking a bit of catching up with this one lol :)

4 minutes ago, mapstar said:

It's early days with the new forum layout guys so just hang in there and things will improve.

If we all start to post in different forums and formats we'll lose the continuity of the thread and meetings.

I'm agreeing with you at the moment Damian. They have said they are still ironing out the creases with the new SGL forum. Let's hang in there rather than getting split up by using different methods of communication. If SGL does go down again, the WADAS committee have contact details for all members to enable communication of important information on meetings and events. As for our general chat, I'm sure we can cope without that if the worse ever happens and we have to live without SGL for a day or so lol :) 

If Ursula can do it, anyone can! ;)

2 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Vic the Normal had gone before I met you I think Leigh lol

I am really not getting on with this new forum. When I "quote" someone's post it brings through my previous text in the reply section which I have to delete before I type anything. Is anyone else experiencing this?

On a positive note, I have had 3 whole SGL notifications on my phone today.

It's hard work as it seems really slow to refresh, send posts and move around the forum.

Ursula no likey! :(

I had that quote issue a few days ago, but it seems fine now.

35 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

I'm agreeing with you at the moment Damian. They have said they are still ironing out the creases with the new SGL forum. Let's hang in there rather than getting split up by using different methods of communication. If SGL does go down again, the WADAS committee have contact details for all members to enable communication of important information on meetings and events. As for our general chat, I'm sure we can cope without that if the worse ever happens and we have to live without SGL for a day or so lol :) 

If Ursula can do it, anyone can! ;)

The problem is if you moved it all to Whatsapp is people have to have a smartphone or android tablet to use it, not everyone has them, but most people do have internet and say a PC. Im with Damian and the rest for now, stick with it and lets see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Vicky050373 said:

Any time Chris - you should have had a look when we did the scout meeting as I was using my 18mm for viewing The Pleiades. I'll have them with me next time I do any viewing as they are the only decent EPs I've got lol :)

I should have done but I didnt realise then, plus the scouts where where having fun looking through the scope whilst I took questions from the floor and explained about the bit of the night sky we could see. Maybe on our next session if theres ever a break in these clouds

Archived