SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 2STAR said:

I like parcels arriving , so understand the excitement Vicky, I am in the early stages of saving some pennies for my next big buy, 2 items in total  then that's it as far as the big bucks go , Now I just need to develop a subtle approach on the subject to my dearly beloved Delia lol, or come straight out with it as she can read me like a book lol.

Hmm,Terry is the same. He just knows! He'll walk in the house, take one look at me and say "Ok, what you bought??" LOL

I've already "fessed-up" about the planetary cameras and he says he would have been more annoyed if I'd missed out on them with it being something I "need" to progress with my imaging. However, he did say that I should sell my other monochrome planetary camera if I'm not going to use it any more. Goid point Terry, and yes, it will probably go in the classifieds once I get up and running with the QHY.

Think there will be a few parcels for the WADAS gang this next couple of weeks. Well, we might as well annoy the cloud gods together hehe

Trying to think what you're getting Eric - a wedge for your Evolution possibly? Or are you sticking to visual and getting a couple of big buck EPs? You're going to have to give us some hints. 

I find telling the husband about buying astro stuff is best approached like ripping off a plaster - just get it over with quickly. Another of my favourite methods is stashing it in with the rest of the kit then reckoning I've had it ages lol. However, this only works if you are the one who does the banking.......... ;)

2 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Looks good for your first attempt Adam well done, I don't know anything about Astro imaging but it seems you are off the ground up & running , well done , 

eric

Adam, Greenwitch is also closed Wednesday's , have a chat with lee there regarding any aspect of astronomy he is gold mine of knowledge and very helpful.

6 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Hmm,Terry is the same. He just knows! He'll walk in the house, take one look at me and say "Ok, what you bought??" LOL

I've already "fessed-up" about the planetary cameras and he says he would have been more annoyed if I'd missed out on them with it being something I "need" to progress with my imaging. However, he did say that I should sell my other monochrome planetary camera if I'm not going to use it any more. Goid point Terry, and yes, it will probably go in the classifieds once I get up and running with the QHY.

Think there will be a few parcels for the WADAS gang this next couple of weeks. Well, we might as well annoy the cloud gods together hehe

Trying to think what you're getting Eric - a wedge for your Evolution possibly? Or are you sticking to visual and getting a couple of big buck EPs? You're going to have to give us some hints. 

I find telling the husband about buying astro stuff is best approached like ripping off a plaster - just get it over with quickly. Another of my favourite methods is stashing it in with the rest of the kit then reckoning I've had it ages lol. However, this only works if you are the one who does the banking.......... ;)

I don't have a clue what finances I have Vicky in the bank etc, Delia deals with all that stuff lol, she has worked in finances and is very carefull with money, I just get an allowance lol which is great as I can save well from that, 

Just now, 2STAR said:

I don't have a clue what finances I have Vicky in the bank etc, Delia deals with all that stuff lol, she as worked in finances and is very carefull with money, I just get an allowance lol which is great as I can save well from that, 

Yeah, I do "the banking" in our house. Poor Terry admits that he is hopeless at finances. He says that he'd run out of money 2 days after pay day if it was left to him. He's no idea what goes out every month. I'm really good at making our money stretch and making sure we both get any "treats" we want. Terry has his cider, CDs and X-Box games - I have my astro gear. I admit mine is a bit pricier, but Terry doesn't mind even though he's the main wage earner. I've just got to keep the house relatively in order and keep him stocked in cider lol. Sounds like a good deal to me ;)

19 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Yeah, I do "the banking" in our house. Poor Terry admits that he is hopeless at finances. He says that he'd run out of money 2 days after pay day if it was left to him. He's no idea what goes out every month. I'm really good at making our money stretch and making sure we both get any "treats" we want. Terry has his cider, CDs and X-Box games - I have my astro gear. I admit mine is a bit pricier, but Terry doesn't mind even though he's the main wage earner. I've just got to keep the house relatively in order and keep him stocked in cider lol. Sounds like a good deal to me ;)

Sounds sensible its for this reason im getting all the smaller bits that i need before i hand it all over to the mrs lol so i make sure that i "do the sensible thing"

1 hour ago, adam_sage said:

Should hopefully be arriving monday / tuesday. Thinking about taking monday off and going down to astrofest on friday, has anyone been before is it worth the trip?

A few of us are going to Astrofest on Saturday!

I cant make it on saturday as ive got to look after the 2 little nephews from about 3pm saturday otherwise i would have come along :-( but i dont want to miss it, also bought the dky at night mag yesterday there is a dark night observing / star party towards end of the month in the north yorkshire dales if anyone is thinking of going? 

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk 

2 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Are you thinking of Atik Infinity?

Not telling you lol , but it looks like the first real quality specific camera for video astronomy and the specs are amazing from what I have compared it with over the last few weeks, just under £800 it's expensive, plus I will have to buy a laptop to do the job properly so it will take a while to save up for it.  OOP' S , think I may have given the game away, you are a shrewd lady !!!!.

ps: Soupy, I think you have your answer lol

2 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Was thinking Atik Infinity as I was just looking at this in the FLO offers section.

Weird that you mentioned video astronomy about 10 minutes later lol :)

Yes Vicky I saw it was a customer return and going for a £100 cheaper I think, but I'm well off the target at the moment which is a pity.

5 hours ago, adam_sage said:

hi Adam, I think Malham is probably one of my favourite places in the dales, and brings back fond memories from my youth and indeed my time in the 1970's and early 80' as a Physical Education Instructor in HMP Service when taking Young Offenders from Liverpool & Manchester out into the country side for the very first time, moving on, the 3 peaks are also a favourite of mine.

I would imagine it is a great place to view the night sky from but the roads are winding and up & down to get there on a night time would take quite a while as its difficult to get up a head of steam on the narrow lanes lol.

Eric 

I'll give you all a giggle on a dreary Sunday afternoon.

So, my mum bought me an eye patch to help reduce eye-strain when out viewing now I have got a problem in my non-viewing eye. This teamed with my balaclava and red light head torch I suddenly realised that I am certainly not the same person I was a year ago lol

Ursula the Astronomer has taken over Vic the Normal Person haha...........

image.jpg

33 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

So, my mum bought me an eye patch to help reduce eye-strain when out viewing now I have got a problem in my non-viewing eye. This teamed with my balaclava and red light head torch I suddenly realised that I am certainly not the same person I was a year ago lol

image.jpg

scary . I have one too lol

you could get a job as a bank robber if the doctors packs up

37 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

image.jpg

Hey, a lot of my old customers looked like that, only thing missing is the sawn off shotgun lol !! Fantastic

46 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

image.jpg

That reminds me I need a red headlight any recommend 

places to get one

neil

30 minutes ago, adam_sage said:

L.O.L i love this

There is a nice little campsite at Ingleton, just off the A65,  Moorgarth Farm,  last year prices  were £10 a night,  free showers, but that's all the facilities, Nightfisher  a SGL member organised a star party there last year, didn't go to that but I did camp there, at another weekend and the skies are darkish as long as you viewing in the opposite direction to the rd

Archived