Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found out one of my old friends has taken his own life due to depression. Sad times and it brings it close to home. Damian

So sorry to hear about your friend Damian. Hope you are ok. My thoughts are with you and his family.

Well, my Christmas break is drawing to a close - back to work at 8am and it's going to be crazy-bonkers.

I'm only working until 11.30am, and it'll probably take me until then to go through all the Out of Hour calls!

It'll be home time before I know it.

Think I'll have a last Christmas drink whilst I catch up with the first of the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures.

Nice short 3 day week at work :)

What's everyone up to for New Years Eve?

Just found out one of my old friends has taken his own life due to depression.

Sad times and it brings it close to home

Damian

I have seen many cases of people taking their own lives and behind each one is a human story, a person , friend, loved one , all are terribly sad, Some could have been prevented, others plan meticulously their own fate and little if anything could prevent them from happening, and many are people you would never think of them as being capable of such a thing.

The real sorrow is always felt by those left behind feeling devasted and confused as to why a loved one would take this tragic course.

I have seen many cases of people taking their own lives and behind each one is a human story, a person , friend, loved one , all are terribly sad, Some could have been prevented, others plan meticulously their own fate and little if anything could prevent them from happening, and many are people you would never think of them as being capable of such a thing.

The real sorrow is always felt by those left behind feeling devasted and confused as to why a loved one would take this tragic course.

Very true Eric and well said, always leaves you with the thought why? 

I have photos of the many outings we'd had and our one and only foreign holiday together and they were happy times. Long live those memories

Damian

So sorry to hear about your friend Damian. Hope you are ok. My thoughts are with you and his family.

Well, my Christmas break is drawing to a close - back to work at 8am and it's going to be crazy-bonkers.

I'm only working until 11.30am, and it'll probably take me until then to go through all the Out of Hour calls!

It'll be home time before I know it.

Think I'll have a last Christmas drink whilst I catch up with the first of the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures.

Nice short 3 day week at work :)

What's everyone up to for New Years Eve?

Will probably be asleep unless it's clear then I'm of out with the scope if any one fancies it

Mark

Sorry to hear of your sad news Damian, it's a terrible thing to happen and as Paul said he must have been in a very dark place, it never makes sense as there not thinking like us, so to them it makes sense, but to everyone else its often confusing leaving us to ask why .raise a good glass to him.

As for going out, might be some clear skies tonight for a bit tonight, bit only up to about 7ish. Then there should be more on new years Eve should be clear. We go up to some friends for a bit of a house party, so I could take my scope up there although it's not a particular dark site place

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear your news Damian, the same thing happened to my brother-in-law a couple of years ago which was very sad.

I had a productive afternoon yesterday in the shed and built some new shelving to hold my telescopes and equipment:

Shelving

It's almost like I measured correctly :)

Shelving Filled

They just need a lick of paint to give a nice finish.

Just watched yesterday's Royal Institution Christmas Lecture, and even though it is aimed at the younger generation, I still found it really interesting.

Monica Grady made an appearance too - bonus!

Just settling down to watch the second instalment currently airing on BBC4 :)

I meant to watch it today with Lydia but we went out. Always loved watching them every christmas as a kid and I just carried on watching them. :) think we will have to watch 2 tomorrow

I'm sure they'll be on the iPlayer - definitely worth watching - the third one is on tomorrow night (oddly enough) :)

I'm sure they'll be on the iPlayer - definitely worth watching - the third one is on tomorrow night (oddly enough) :)

Good stuff Vicky

Just watching the first one, your hero is on and I can see why she can't half gabble lol!

I may finish off watching 2001. Stunning film and just shows how far man will go to see past these damn clouds!

Archived