Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

PlanetGazer

Planisphere, do you use them?

Hello

I'm wondering how popular they are and whether they have been replaced by softwares and apps. I know some say they are essential when using a telescope, but for those who have practising the hobby for a while, do you use/need them anymore?

Thanks

Hello

I'm wondering how popular they are and whether they have been replaced by softwares and apps. I know some say they are essential when using a telescope, but for those who have practising the hobby for a while, do you use/need them anymore?

Thanks

i have one and used it a lot at first. I rarely use it now as I prefer sky safari. If I wanted to look at the big picture so to speak I might still get it out to see the constellations in relation to each other. I think they're very useful to help learning the night sky.

• Like 1

Yes, I use mine quite a lot, in conjunction with charts, Stellarium, TLAO etc. I find it quick and easy to get an overall picture of the night sky, especially when planning ahead." Real time" apps are fine when you're out there, but as I said, I find the Planisphere useful for forward planning.

Just revived an interest in mine. I mostly use software - Stellarium for a quick look, Cartes du Ciel for scope positioning. :)

BUT, now that I've sussed out the direction of my lowest horizon, a Planisphere makes it easy to plan ahead for times when a specific object will be visible between the rooftops? A Planisphere displays ALL the possible observing time / date combinations, whereas software can be a slight pain to crank back and forth in time and only displays ONE at a time. :p

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 2

I always use mine, first I use Stellarium to plot out my nights session,

then while I am outside I use the Planisphere to get my bearings, and

it works fine for me.

In a technological age, they're still very a quick and simple way of doing some basic forward planning.

• Like 1

Brilliant piece of kit, simple and cheap! I use my planisphere quite often. It`s handy if the computer is off and just want a quick check on the sky,

such as rising and setting times and pinpointing objects using the RA and DEC scale.

• Like 1

That`s another thing, I used a vinyl tape to mark my local horizon as seen from my observatory onto a spare planispere so that I would know what would be visible to the scope at any time.

• Like 1

I don't use mine so much now, but I agree that they're an excellent tool for learning your way around the sky and show the relationships between the constellations far more readily than most software.

James

I did use mine, but then it vanished... I want another one. I find a planisphere a lot faster than a computer programme, plus I don't take my laptop down the park.

I think my wife ate it.

DD

• Like 2

I received mine not too long ago, and can't wait to start using it. I like the feature that shows the position of bright planets. Does any one have any tips that will help using it? I mean I know the basics like finding the correct part of the map for the specific time and finding planets, but that's all really.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

They're indispensable on those fabulous nights when the power goes off mid-winter and everything's black as black can be out there .... :grin:

• Like 1

I use mine just to check whats up for a particular day and then use a star map for more detailed planning.

I find that I am using the planisphere and star maps more and the ipad astronomy apps less than I used to.

Avtar

• Like 1

The Planisphere can be useful both in planning situations and to apply perhaps after an absence of time in getting out. When confronted with the sky, you can quickly become accustomed to the constellations again. Simple to use, combinded with sky charts and notes, referred to via a dim red LED light and magnifying glass, rather than using some electronic devises, which might impede your night vision a little.

• Like 1

A planisphere has never ruined my night vision!

Neither has my red acetate covered smartphone/netbook/laptop ;)

I have one, but I rarely use it. I invariably reach for my smartphone which is loaded with SkEye. I can find and identify objects so much quicker with that.

I do have one. It was one of the first things that was ever bought for me when I got a telescope. However, i dont use it anymore as i use Stellarium or google skymaps on my phone if i really need too.

Hi,

Yes, still use mine: portable, cheap, quick and easy to use. Doesn't require batteries or mains power, and won't freeze or crash! Priceless!

Herrman

I have one, and used to use it a bit, but now knowing many constellations and needing to know exactly where to find the ones I don't know mean I don't usually use it nowadays.

I keep meaning to get a new a proper one as I've found them helpful to get bearings when trying to plan what to look at, and also means I don't have to worry about batteries dying on my phone! I have also used this basic make your own one which was handy when I had no cash and also wanted to give one away/use with kids or not worry if you wanted to draw over it!

http://www.jodrellbank.net/media/cultural/jodrellbank/documents/planisphere.pdf

• Like 1

It's quick and battery free. A great way to learn, especially for unfamiliar constellations,

Nick.

Great bit of kit. Mine is hanging on the wall now as a reminder of how i started out.