Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet ISON update!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that has been absolutely incredible with ISON is the sense of the online community and that we could look at the data live at the same time as our professional peers.

Sad ending, but it's been fun.

I agree. This and the mars landing have been brilliant.

Well it's a shame ISON won't be there to entertain us through December. Just a parting thought: imagine all those billions of stars out there in the universe also have multitudes of comets orbiting them. That's a lot of activity! Maybe one day our imaging equipment can capture the Hale-Bopps of our galaxy and even more spectacular specimens.

I'm a little saddened by this passing, but will go look at Jupiter, the Moon, Lovejoy, and all the rest with more admiration than before.

Keep looking up

Many thanks for the up to date SOHO images, Jarrod, the website is crawling for me.

(I have also just realised that you're Paztopia from Muselive, JB80!).

I applaud the NASA stream, it's always great to have free content like that, but I found myself looking elsewhere for more up to date news on ISON which seems a tad odd.

I'll check out Lovejoy again when the sky clears, as a mediocre consolation prize.

We are up at our caravan in rural Cumbria and just popped down to the village pup for something to eat.

The boy from the village was in with his family and he was talking to his mother about the bright "meteor" that was swinging round the Sun and was going to be something to watch soon.

I happened to have the latest LASCO animation on my phone. I showed it to him and explained that it's probably done for.

He had a look on his face as though I'd just stamped on his pet spider.. :(

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk 4

Many thanks for the up to date SOHO images, Jarrod, the website is crawling for me.

(I have also just realised that you're Paztopia from Muselive, JB80!).

I applaud the NASA stream, it's always great to have free content like that, but I found myself looking elsewhere for more up to date news on ISON which seems a tad odd.

I'll check out Lovejoy again when the sky clears, as a mediocre consolation prize.

Uh-oh, I've been rumbled. :D

That's me.

Never fear this is my serious alter ego.

No worries with the SOHO images, it's been down for me all day too so if I can find them I'll share them.

If nothing else, Ison has been an event..

It's been a nail-biter right through to the end. 27,000 people were watching the Nasa Pod-cast and screaming for info

on astronomy fora; that cannot be bad.

I think the last time I spent as much time checking NASA/ESA sites and On the forums was when Huygens was being

deployed.We have all talked/written/streamed about this Ice Cube for months and the last few days has been frenetic.

I will still check tomorrows images etc before cancelling my look to the

Well  was glad I made those 5 am starts now - worth it for the one brief view of Ison.   And you can still go out tonight and see Lovejoy - which deserves a bit more attention anyway. It's a pretty decent comet and should be a fine sight still in December -  it's still been a good year for comets !

andrew

and on an even more glass is half full note- Comet Ison was only discovered in Sept 2012 - 14 Months ago - who knows what else is out there - keep looking up guys

Like the man says. "Keep looking up".

Strange to feel affinity for an inanimate object. But I suppose that most of the rest of the population feel the same when their preferred team gets dumped out of the World Cup (but ending up in the sun is a way cooler exit.....). Technically not correct but hey ho.

Paul

My wife just mocked me at all the time and effort i made to get up at 5am and watch it and all the emails i sent to (uninterested) friends and colleagues..well nuts to her. Its fun getting excited about things like this and  the last few days have been awesome in here!

What a journey ISON had, the increase in speed at the end has blown my mind. I'm trying to picture the absolutely incredible view it had as it approached the sun and rounded it...wow

Thank to everyone for the update links

Marc

Archived