SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet ISON update!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still waiting for a chance to look for Linear and Nevski. Two weeks of trying but nothing but cloudy conditions to date. Saw Lovejoy a few weeks back and it was rather good.

Same here, a nice number of comets around at the same time and I've only seen two. I got shots of ISON and Lovejoy a couple of weeks back but couldn't see Nevski. The forecast is good for these parts for the next two or three mornings so hopefully I'll have some luck then :-)

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Thats a bummer, i was tuned out awaiting early december, here i am in portland, this morning i finally was able to myself up at a time early enough to see it, with a great view out to the SE sky over Mt. Hood from my upstairs bathroom window, and NO ISON.  now i read up on it, and its a bit saddening.  Pardon me if i am a bit hurt still......   :embarrassed:   I have a couple cool pics of either hyakutake from utah i took, i think it was back in 87.  I dont remember seeing Halleys, but i think i did see it.  I lived in the city, which explains alot.   Ill try to share my pics of Hyakutake soon.  It was taken with an SLR, no scope.  Cool enough i got myself in front of a camp fire, with the mountain range behind, and the comet OWNING the sky.    

Rubbish, no ISON huh?  Well, what about this lovejoy, lookin here  http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/ and being about 45Deg. it looks like i should have seen it this morning when i was looking for ISON.  wouldnt that have been a mixup..  

I will be gunning for Nevski shortly. Having spotted Panstarrs, ISON, Lovejoy, C/2012 X1 LINEAR, and Brewington, but missed Encke, I think I will have a chance to spot my 6th comet of the year early on Wednesday. I have to catch a 05:36 train, so have every excuse to get up early enough for a quick peek at Nevski, as the current prediction is for clear skies.  I will see if I can find Lovejoy Tuesday evening again. Well worth another look.

you guys are using telescopes, or at least binocs to find these things right?  i have been looking with the unaided eye for ison, prior to finding out its been blown to bits by its superior.  but all the rest of these have to be such a high magnitude that they aren't visible to the naked eye are they? 

You'll need a scope to see either Nevski or Brewington, but Only Binos to get a look at Lovejoy.

I have not seen Lovejoy for a week but it was on or below mag 5, and should be naked eye with a dark/clear

enough sky, though I'm not sure if it still brightening or getting fainter again as the sky has been pants since last week.

Mick

Archived