Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet ISON update!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thoughts Otarmigan, though not sure I follow the dots which seem to have an extreme and unexpected shift.   are you saying this might be a smaller part that broke of much earlier?

Sorry SnakeyJ, my bad with sketching quickly in Irfanview whilst trying to keep up with the thread !

didnt mean any extreem shifts

what I was trying to illustrate was the area _between_ my approximate dots and my poor illustration of the ISON orbit , my _dashes_

it looked to me that that whole area might be filled with 'stuff' ! ie debris, it seemed to be that there was a degree of general lightening in that region over and above the whisps of cme whatevr coming off the sun ?

The effect seemes to be more pronounced nearer to ison in that image than in the region behind (pre- perihelion) in my pre-dotted region

iyswim ??

Prob my wild imagination !

Just a fancy, I'm probably wrong

Excellent guys, keep it coming.

No matter what the end result is I know I have enjoyed the ride and it has been said before but thanks to everyone for sharing the data, pics and their thoughts.

If you want to be on the front line look no further than SGL and it's brilliant community.

:)

For me I think it has for the best part been turned to dust and fragments but I know there has been some talk that the remnants might even be visible, I don't know but I don't think this is entirely the end of the story although it may very well be.

Sorry SnakeyJ, my bad with sketching quickly in Irfanview whilst trying to keep up with the thread !

didnt mean any extreem shifts

what I was trying to illustrate was the area _between_ my approximate dots and my poor illustration of the ISON orbit , my _dashes_

it looked to me that that whole area might be filled with 'stuff' ! ie debris, it seemed to be that there was a degree of general lightening in that region over and above the whisps of cme whatevr coming off the sun ?

The effect seemes to be more pronounced nearer to ison in that image than in the region behind (pre- perihelion) in my pre-dotted region

iyswim ??

Prob my wild imagination !

Just a fancy, I'm probably wrong

Not at all - Looking at the C2 animation the effect does look more pronounced.   It's going to be interesting over the next few weeks and months to find out how much spectral data and interaction with the solar wind can build up our knowledge on Ison's composition.

would think that the loss of mass would affect it but I would have thought  a lighter comet would have turned more

Errum, well it has been a long time (several decades !) since I did orbital dynamics but if I rmember kerekt in the case of a massive primary (the sun) and a negligible(relative) mass of the secondary (ison) the orbit of the secondary is independant of its mass

Example:

a pingpong ball or spanner lost by the ISS will continue in the same orbit as the ISS (for quite some time, neglecting atmos drag etc)

mind u, how an object loses mass is another matter ;) !

if it is by jettison radially +or- or tangentially+or-

is a subject for another day heheee ;)

I've only emerged from a nap to find there's still some excitement! There's a 23:04 and a 23:12 coming from C2 but not showing on the LASCO Navy site yet. Will put them up once they get in. Timings of these photos are irregular

Something is stirring again isn't it! Really did think it was over that last time as well..

I'm sorry but all of the scientists have said its gone.... Whatever's come out, if it was a decent sized comet, we would have more news on it by now.... Not our own mere speculation

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I'm sorry but all of the scientists have said its gone.... Whatever's come out, if it was a decent sized comet, we would have more news on it by now.... Not our own mere speculation

Probably true, but it is rather fun :grin:

It's going to be interesting over the next few weeks and months to find out how much spectral data and interaction with the solar wind can build up our knowledge on Ison's composition.

Yes indeed.

I dont want to sound like a kill-joy but it may be that a lot  (more?)  can be learned by the profs. from this well monitored breakup/disintegration than if it had just continued to amble round the sun and come out the other side with just a few huffs&puffs and a big tail like Hale-Bopp ?

Sorry guys&girls, I'll get my coat , , ,

;)

Probably true, but it is rather fun :grin:

I know I've been glued to this thread too hoping for the best, but tiredness and reality have since set it. Night all. Maybe i will be pleasantly surprised in the morning... But i doubt it

Enjoy

on the original video it shows it goes round the sun and almost double backs on it self,     on these pictures if it has survived but lost a lot of weight it seems to be going of in a different direction , am I right

I totally agree with you although just loss of mass wouldn't do that, there would have to be some force involved.

Unless they all went to the pub to drown their sorrows after watching it seemingly disappear into the sun, and have missed all the latest fun ;)

Archived