Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet ISON update!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I imagining things,

or is there a big cloud of debris behind ISON in the C2 images,

let me see if I can upload a pick out of my sketch with irfanview,

if it works the region within my 'dots' to the dashed orbit of ISON is what I am looking at, more noticable it seems to me from perihelion on out, but I imagine I can see some effect before it goes behind the occulting disc,

if I dont get it right first time, come back for edits ! :)

But visually there is definately something coming away from the sun in the latest Lasco 2 (20:30) image
and it looks to be carrying on the flight path extending from the tail debris.

It may be wishful thinking, it may be the last debris but it looks like something is coming away from the sun....

Mick

Just saw the 2148 image, thanks guys,

I was very late with the Last post (oooh appropriate) as I was trying very hard to work out how to get the

20:30 pic onto my post but with no success,

Another hour or two may probably get some definitive data on this post perihelion streaker. Looks a bit

diffuse though, even the brighter streak where a coma should be.

Mick

Am I imagining things,

or is there a big cloud of debris behind ISON in the C2 images,

let me see if I can upload a pick out of my sketch with irfanview,

if it works the region within my 'dots' to the dashed orbit of ISON is what I am looking at, more noticable it seems to me from perihelion on out, but I imagine I can see some effect before it goes behind the occulting disc,

if I dont get it right first time, come back for edits ! :)

It seems that I have failed miserably to attach a pic,, kept getting server unavailable errors,

so let me try an img via my dropbox :

ISON.jpg

ah, that looks more promising, if a little big ?

i think the original trajectory saw the comet turning 140 degrees at perihelion but this seems to be a much shallower trajectory. Im no expert but I would think that the loss of mass would affect it but I would have thought  a lighter comet would have turned more than a heavier one due to it having less inertia . All very odd but there is definitely something surviving the pass.

Cheers

i think the original trajectory saw the comet turning 140 degrees at perihelion but this seems to be a much shallower trajectory. Im no expert but I would think that the loss of mass would affect it but I would have thought  a lighter comet would have turned more than a heavier one due to it having less inertia . All very odd but there is definitely something surviving the pass.

Cheers

The remnant has the same speed but less mass so less turn ?

Interesting thoughts Otarmigan, though not sure I follow the dots which seem to have an extreme and unexpected shift.   are you saying this might be a smaller part that broke of much earlier?

Not so impressed with NASA's soho site this evening, which has been most frustrating - even now when the webserver seems to be under much less load, there still seems to be a very slow release of these images.

How come the C3 is not showing any re-emergence?

If the original estimates on size were right it should be possible to work on what remains by the change in turn...but beyond my abacus

Yes, that's what I thought  :smiley: As we are probably getting a meteor shower from this debris doesn't this outcome maximise the quantity of material in the inner solar system for this ? 

Archived