Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet ISON update!

I know we won't know for sure, but roughly how long will it take for us to see C/2012 S1 (can we please use it's real name) has passed the Sun? I have a wedding party to go to at around 19:30pm tonight (inconsiderate family member lol) but want to know.

http://www.cometison2013.co.uk/interactive-model/

This is a pretty useful tool.  The bar at the bottom is especially handy for visibility times / days. 

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we won't know for sure, but roughly how long will it take for us to see C/2012 S1 (can we please use it's real name) has passed the Sun? I have a wedding party to go to at around 19:30pm tonight (inconsiderate family member lol) but want to know.

Comets have always been named after their discoverer(s).

C/2012 S1 is just a catalogue designation. I know it helps specify a particular comet particularly in cases of multiple discoveries by one individual (eg Lovejoy) but ISON is this comets name!!

Now here is either an interesting one or a dud.

A supposed daytime pic of ISON, could just be a star though.

What say you?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=262773757210268&set=a.111959535625025.20750.111956492291996&type=1&theatre

If I could see the sun today I'd try that. We might get a break soon by the looks of it.

I know we won't know for sure, but roughly how long will it take for us to see C/2012 S1 (can we please use it's real name) has passed the Sun?

Because its C/2012 S1 designation is so catchy and just rolls of the tongue. Where as Ison is such hard work..........hmm i think i keep referring to it as Ison thanks very much

Now here is either an interesting one or a dud.

A supposed daytime pic of ISON, could just be a star though.

What say you?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=262773757210268&set=a.111959535625025.20750.111956492291996&type=1&theatre

If I could see the sun today I'd try that. We might get a break soon by the looks of it.

Personally, I can't believe that simply putting your thumb over the sun would enable you to see it!

Because its C/2012 S1 designation is so catchy and just rolls of the tongue. Where as Ison is such hard work..........hmm i think i keep referring to it as Ison thanks very much

And there was me thinking such hostility on an Astronomy forum wouldn't exist, my mistake.

On topic, is anyone actually able to get SOHO to load up? Constant connection timeouts now.

And there was me thinking such hostility on an Astronomy forum wouldn't exist, my mistake.

On topic, is anyone actually able to get SOHO to load up? Constant connection timeouts now.

Not hostile, sorry if it came over that way. Was just a bit narked the way you implied we should drop referring to Comet Ison as 'Ison' , when that is its name.

There is quite a good description of comet naming conventions etc at this link.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/11/27/comet_naming_a_quick_guide.html?wpisrc=burger_bar

Technically of course, it is called comet C/2012 S1 (ISON), but given that everyone knows what we are referring to at the moment then ISON seems to be much easier, even though it just refers to the discovering observatory so is not unique to this comet.

Stu

Just going to Lasco C3 will have you sitting and staring for a good while.

The SOHO site itself is a little better now, I am in on my lunchbreak trying to get the C2 image.

Ison was due in C2 fov around 13:00 but the images on C3 and C2 are still currently the 09:18 and 09:12 images

respectively.

Huuuuuurry up Lasco, I've got to go back to work shortly.

Well unsurprisingly I haven't been able to confirm that daylight photo earlier posted.

I have tried with the same settings and length and to the best of my knowledge there has been nada.

All sorts of faint smudges and smears, clouds, etc that  one could say was the comet but to do that would be misleading. Maybe there would be a chance at sunset if it's clear but I don't think I'll be home then.

Archived