Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet ISON update!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may be too early to call.  All of these images go through an automated processing pipeline that won't be optimised to bring out the comet.  The fading might be genuine or equally it could just be an artefact of the processing.  Personally I'm going to wait a few more hours until it comes out the other side before giving up hope.

I cant see how this is it if the live distance website is correct. it only left perihelion less than 30 mins ago, would it really be out on the other side already? Of course, i am a total amateur so might be talking complete Rubbish.

They were saying that they think nthe Nucleus was not structurably able to take the close approach and possibly evaporated

as it neared Perihelion.  The guy said that he should be able to gey data if it were still there as only a lump of Iron would stop

outgassing and that even this would give off molecules in the environment it is in.

It look like not being able to see anything in their data is enough for them to say there is mothing left ?

Mick

I cant see how this is it if the live distance website is correct. it only left perihelion less than 30 mins ago, would it really be out on the other side already? Of course, i am a total amateur so might be talking complete Rubbish.

Travelling at 800,000 mph, yes it would be round the other side. Unfortunately it looks as though it didn't make it.

It is not going behind the Sun from our point of view, unlike Lovejoy.  It should be visible all the way round.

Archived