NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An Eagle lurking in my closet....

Tim

Here is one of the images which never really got off the ground last year. I started in July 2012 imaging the Eagle nebula. It is a difficult target, very low from here, and usually in the murk, and I only had opportunity to gather 9 x 20 mins in Ha for it with my C11Edge. However I had previously taken a much wider field picture of this area, and with the magic piece of software that is Registar, I have combined the old colour data with last years Ha data, which has been used here as a Luminance, not ideal, but better than the 3 hours of data never being used at all.

So here's the mono Ha picture, and the mashup with the old colour version.

C11EdgeHD@2800mm, Atik 428ex binned 2x2, Baader 7nm ha filter - 9 x 20 mins

post-1391-0-85202100-1363739811_thumb.jp

post-1391-0-66057700-1363739839_thumb.jp

Full size on Astrobin.

Cheers

Tim

http://astrob.in/36472/

http://astrob.in/36473/

In narrowband the SCT results seem to be comparable to what I get with a reflector, a newt or mak-newt, only with the up close factor. Stars are not as sharp at this scale of course, but there is no weird diffraction effects ;)

At the moment I am working on an LRGB image, which I dont really do or understand properly. I do know that by imaging at 0.48 arcsec/pixel I am going against accepted wisdom, but I also have 0.96 a/p to compare and there is definitely more detail in the unbinned image, even though there shouldn't be :p

I'll post up a little preview when it downloads from my obsy PC.

Tremendous resolution. Really impressive, because it's a low target from down here, never mind from the middle of England! The Edge has great optics. The only thing with SCTs at slow focal ratios is that you need to know what you're getting yourself into. Done well - and it doesn't get done any better than this - they can certainly deliver. I do envy you your lack of diffraction spikes at this FL and wonder why we never see other systems using plain optical windows instead of spiders.

Olly

Archived