Hi from Yorkshire, UK!

CJButt0nz

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I & welcome to SGL.

I dont want to hijack this thread and i'm not dismissing the OP's scope what I am dismissing is THIS :eek: :eek: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/063540.htm How on earth can they justify £633 for THAT when u can buy the Skywatcher 200p/EQ5 for £415??? The claimed magnification amuses me also, usually argos wildly exaggerate the magnification of their scopes but this time they've decided the 200mm has a max 'optimum :rolleyes: ' mag of just 238x (altho thats probably nearer the mark with this 'item') but their 150mm is 316x..........words fail me completely on this one :grin: sorry, rant over.

Steve

Welcome to sgl, I would recommend the Yorkshire local forum on here, see if there's a meet/club/group near you and if you can go and meet them. Not only will they be able to help you with your setup, they can give you hands on advice on what to see. :D

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

Hi CJ and welcome to SGL, I see you have put a thread in the Beginners Help and Advice section which should bring a favourable response to your inquiry, however, I see from the advertising specifications given about the scope that you can expect magnifications from 35X to 350x which can be expanded even further with a range of accessories, please do not be disappointed when you learn that your scope will not realise anything like the high magnification quoted, this is nothing more than misleading advertising and formal representation is being made, I understand, to the appropriate body to try and have this sort of thing stopped. You should never the less enjoy the views of the Planets, stars, Moon and even some bright Deep Space Objects when you learn how to locate them, downloading the free program Stellarium will help you find your way about the night sky for a start, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Hello and welcome to SGL.

I have to say that ( as a Scot ) I always thought Yorkshire was an independent country, not part of the UK :grin: :grin: :grin:

I think I can get away with this as I think it's a wonderful place, I used to live in E. Yorks despite the fact that at the time the Post Office wanted us to call it Humberside ..........

Hi CJ welcome to SGL, hope you still enjoy your new telescope even if it doesnt do exactly what it says on the tin, best not to buy from the high street as they tend to over hype the magnification

you still should got some great views and hopefully in the future if you upgrade we can help you more then.

clear skys

Archived