Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Time to give up.

Starlight 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a tough one, to be honest. Nearly all the things I do for relaxation (and a few that are just making the house a more pleasant place to live in) involve being outside and I've been able to do very little this year thanks to the weather. I can't see myself suddenly developing a deep fascination with stamp-collecting though, so I've just got to stick with it...

James

That's a shame. I have had my scope out 4 times this year. Have to go to dark site as i live in an awkward flat, agreed the weather is terrible and more time is spent inside reading about Astronomy than practicing it. There's no doubt many people here are in the same boat. However, just thinking about selling my kit upsets me having saved for the past 6 years to get back into the hobby, and one can guarantee that selling up will result in a massive spell of clear weather and probably a beautiful bright Comet or Two just to rub it in.

It is a game of patience at the moment but you know what they say?.... good things come to those who wait :rolleyes:

Don't give up..the weather is rubbish as has been said by others, but it will get better. Winter in the UK has some seriously rich skies when it is good, and oddly enough the colder it gets the clearer the skies often are.

Look at it this way...blame the Sun for the weather...it's not behaving and not having a very good solar max..so the atmosphere does not have the energy it usually does...the Sun will perk up in no time, and so will the weather and thus everyone's spirits...

You'll feel so gutted if you give up, get rid of your kit and then we get a Month of glorious nights!

I know I haven't been at this for long, but one thing I have learnt from other hobbies/interests is never sell your gear (unless finances demand). There's always a very good chance that you'll come back to it a some stage and it will cost a heck of a lot more to start up again.( This is apart from parting with something you may have grown attached to).

Got to agree though the weather has been depressing, but it could (and probably will) change for the better and as Daniel-K says, one clear night could well kick it all off again for you. I sincerely hope it does :smiley:

Jason

I have to say I've often thought about it but I've worked hard for the gear I own & someday the weather will improve. I find when you're out on a good night all the frustrations seem to just fade away.

Looking back at my observing logs, this year seems to be pretty normal.

Sure, the summer was a huge disappointment - but it frequently is (plus it never really gets dark, so not much is lost by a rainy/cloudy summer). There was some brilliant observing earlier in the year: March, May and September being particularly good. Even Jan/Feb had some nice clear nights.

As Pete said, there were some great night early in the year up til about the end of march. Summer observing i dont do due to it not getting dark til late, so a bad summer doesnt bother me. This winter hasnt been great so far but its not too bad.

Dont give up. We are all in the same boat. A grab n' go setup would be a good idea.

Hang in there.

I spotted 20 meteors on sat night/sun morning. They totally refueled my passion after months of seeing only clouds.

December and January were my best months last year, and the amazing Orion Nebula will be getting up a bit earlier. Worth hanging on for a bit to see how it goes?

We grabbed a bit of clear last night and saw a few new things for the first time, thanks to the Moore Winter Marathon, it's given me a buzz all day (or maybe I need to cut down on the coffee).

Actually there are three killer rfeasons which make people give up the hobby;

1/ Department store telescopes

2/ Astro photography

3/ Weather

I have come close to giving up a few times and this year has been the worst ever. Oddly enough every year in the past 3-4 has been slighlt worse than the one before and I have lost count of the times people have said 'dont give up because the nights are about to get clearer' only to see the weather get worse each time BUT unless you need the cash you may as well keep the kit.

I got round it by finding othjer things to do. I have an eyepiece case of kit thats been used almost not at all but I dont let it bother me. It will be used eventually.

I have become so sanguine about it that this year I evene took two camping breaks to dark sky sites and never got to observe once (because of the weather) and it hasny fazed me - I just went for long country walks instead.

I have other hobbies as well and once I adjusted to the fact that the scope will get little use I just drifted away to do the other hobbies. One of them rquires good weather as well but thats ok - I have a steady store of projects building up.

So I think the lesson is dont stress, stop weather watching and just go when you can. Have a bit of Zen about you and just dont worry. Most of the angst comes from hope - stop hoping and accept what is and you'll be surprised how easy you can shake it off.

I have recently only managed to get my gear to where I want it to be, (maybe not the ccd but im not convinced on other options atm either).

The bad weather is really frustrating, and I do sit at my desk and ponder on getting back into bass playing, but as I cant commit to a band, that would just the same imo.

Oh well................

Just to demonstrate how quickly things can change, I turned in last night with howling gales and heavy rain. This morning there's a clear sky and plenty of stars (and brilliant Venus). Spent a while with the binos before fog/mist rolled in (It's minus 2C).

Funny old country innit :rolleyes:

Archived