SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

16" Sumerian Canopus

Mike73

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umadog on this forum has got a 10" or 12" Sumerian travel scope, have a look at the 3rd pic on the main page of the Sumerian website as I think thats his at the Grand Canyon star party.

I think it depends on just how easily you want to transport a scope, my 16" weighs 12kgs less than a 12" Skywatcher and it can all be carried at once. For me this is a big plus point as I find nothing more frustrating than observing from a car park only to have some boy racer full beam you in the middle of an observing session, much better to walk 50-100m away and have a nice quiet session IMO. :)

I think it depends on just how easily you want to transport a scope, my 16" weighs 12kgs less than a 12" Skywatcher and it can all be carried at once. For me this is a big plus point as I find nothing more frustrating than observing from a car park only to have some boy racer full beam you in the middle of an observing session, much better to walk 50-100m away and have a nice quiet session IMO. :)

Completely agree Mike, If I could lug my 12" Skywatcher further away from my car and into a more secluded area, on occasions, I would not feel as intimidated by the reason you have stated, after all it is not myself I would be concerned about but the expensive kit around me.

The scope looks fantastic and a very thoroughly considered design, and like everyone else I look forward to your first report.

Just out of interest where did you commission / source the shroud from?

Canopus arrived safely yesterday and first impressions are very positive!! :)

The first pic shows it broken down ready to put in the car, I tested it for size earlier and it fits in the boot of my Astra nicely.

One nice little touch is that the mirror box, rocker box and secondary cage all locks together for transporting around so nothing will slide around and get damaged on the way to a dark site.

Second pic is fully dressed with shroud ready for observing. Some heavy showers about today but I managed to assemble, take pics and get it back inside in 12 minutes.

Very happy with my new scope but I'm going to hold back on the review until I've had a few sessions with it under some dark skies. :)

post-20821-0-24569400-1351862290_thumb.j

post-20821-0-42993100-1351862297_thumb.j

mike,just to echo what others have said. thats looks fantastic. so compact yet so mahoooosive at the same time. may you have many years of joy out of that scope.

looking foward to your reports and of course sketches.

:icon_salut:

"Wow!" Just isn't enough :cool: congrats on your new beauty.

Stupid question: how do the boxes and struts fit together?

The trusses connect to the mirror box and secondary cage by hand bolts.

This is my first truss dob and it really is quick and easy to put together. :)

Archived