Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Eagle Nebula ( Messier 16 ) and Open Cluster ( NGC 6611 ) in the constellation Serpens

MikeODay

The Eagle Nebula Messier 16 ansd Open Cluster NGC 6611 in the constellation Serpens.

image.jpeg

( click on image to see larger )

M16 is around 7,000 light years distant from Earth in the Sagittarius-Carina spiral arm of our Milkyway galaxy and may be part of a larger structure that extends to and includes the Omega Nebula ( M17 ) in Sagittarius.

Details:

Eagle Nebula - Messier 16 ( IC 4703 ), Open Clusters - NGC 6611 and Trumpler 32.
RA ~ 18h 19'm45s
Dec ~ -13deg 46' 20"

Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 Newtonian telescope.
Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT Mount.Orion 80mm f5 guide scope and auto guider - PHD2.
Baader MPCC Mark 3 Coma Corrector, UHC-S 'nebula' filter.
Nikon D5300 (unmodified).
Field of view (deg) ~ 1.35 x 0.90.
ISO800, 14bit NEF, Long Exp. NR on.
35 x 180sec (1/3 before & 2/3 after zenith) 17 July 2015.
PixInsight re-processed 21 Aug 2016..

Links:

https://500px.com/MikeODay

http://photo.net/photos/MikeODay

19 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very nice indeed. I had some great views of this magnificent object in France this year. Also always a crowd pleaser at outreach events

Thanks Michael, much appreciated.

How visible is it?  The various right-ups I have read imply that it is hard to make out in a small scope and needs a large scope or better yet a long exposure to see it well.  Is that true?

I can't tell with my scope because I have set up my Newtonian with the focuser pointing down to better balance the camera but this means that I can't look through it without expensive post-viewing surgery on my neck.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks John.

These are actually old captures that I have been going through and re-processing with my current workflow.  Not many new captures recently because the weather has been bad here for what seems like months with only the occasional good night when the moon is out of course.

Cheers

Mike

8 minutes ago, mike005 said:

Thanks Michael, much appreciated.

How visible is it?  The various right-ups I have read imply that it is hard to make out in a small scope and needs a large scope or better yet a long exposure to see it well.  Is that true?

I can't tell with my scope because I have set up my Newtonian with the focuser pointing down to better balance the camera but this means that I can't look through it without expensive post-viewing surgery on my neck.

Cheers

Mike

M16 is quite an easy target in my 15x70 and even 10x56 bins. At least it is from a dark site where it was 9 degrees higher up in the sky than it is at home. My 80mm F/6 triplet with 31T5 Nagler (15.5x magnification) with UHC filter shows more, but much more detail is captured visually with my Celestron C8 (also with the 31T5 (a.k.a. Panzerfaust ;) ), and UHC filter. The Omega and Lagoon nebulae are visually a bit better, but M16 is also a great visual object

3 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

M16 is quite an easy target in my 15x70 and even 10x56 bins. At least it is from a dark site where it was 9 degrees higher up in the sky than it is at home. My 80mm F/6 triplet with 31T5 Nagler (15.5x magnification) with UHC filter shows more, but much more detail is captured visually with my Celestron C8 (also with the 31T5 (a.k.a. Panzerfaust ;) ), and UHC filter.

Panzerfaust ?  Is that due to the shape of the 31T5 is similar to the that of the warhead or is it the weight  :)

I suppose I should try harder to find a target that I can look at comfortably - people such as yourself always speak so highly of the joys of observing and with 10" light bucket I should be able to see a fair bit of detail I guess.

This shot used a UHC filter but I've stopped using it for now because I really struggle with colour balance when I use it or my IDAS D1 - but they do definitely help to bring the faint detail out from the light pollution where I live.

1 minute ago, mike005 said:

Panzerfaust ?  Is that due to the shape of the 31T5 is similar to the that of the warhead or is it the weight  :)

I suppose I should try harder to find a target that I can look at comfortably - people such as yourself always speak so highly of the joys of observing and with 10" light bucket I should be able to see a fair bit of detail I guess.

This shot used a UHC filter but I've stopped using it for now because I really struggle with colour balance when I use it or my IDAS D1 - but they do definitely help to bring the faint detail out from the light pollution where I live.

A 10" scope should pick out loads of detail in these bright Messier nebulae (and loads more, my humble C8 has notched up in the order of 850 DSOs). A tube rotator should help getting the EP in a more comfortable position

"Panzerfaust" does indeed hint at the tapered shape of the massive EP

2 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

A 10" scope should pick out loads of detail in these bright Messier nebulae (and loads more, my humble C8 has notched up in the order of 850 DSOs). A tube rotator should help getting the EP in a more comfortable position

"Panzerfaust" does indeed hint at the tapered shape of the massive EP

Cheers Michael.

All the best

Mike

Archived