SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

16" Sumerian Canopus

Mike73

Just received these photos of my new Sumerian Canopus this afternoon so its all finished and ready to be shipped to the UK on Monday!! :eek::icon_bounce:

So I'm just a tad excited about this.......I may of mentioned it once or twice recently in different threads and the Mrs has been giving me the thousand yard stare every time I have mentioned 'new telescope' but I just cant wait to get this into some dark skies!!

16" Sumerian Canopus f/4.5 1820mm

post-20821-0-63283400-1351356359_thumb.j

post-20821-0-14981900-1351356372_thumb.j

post-20821-0-00856600-1351356382_thumb.j

post-20821-0-03313800-1351356397_thumb.j

post-20821-0-20693300-1351356406_thumb.j

post-20821-0-56445600-1351356414_thumb.j

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a beauty Mike. I can't wait to hear your first light report.

Are you going to SGL8 and will you bring it?

Mike I do hope that this isn't a totally ludicrous question but.... are the mirrors included in the price ?? cos if the answer is yes then that is one hell a great buy !

Optics are optional on Sumerian Dobs. The €1.6k price tag is for the 16" structure. GSO optics (i.e. the ones used in Lightbridge) cost a additional €1k. Having said that I'd say the structure is worth the small premium over a Lightbridge 16. The is also options for premium mirrors which cost considerably more.

That is a beauty Mike. I can't wait to hear your first light report.

Are you going to SGL8 and will you bring it?

I'd really like to make it up to SGL8 Keith but its a long trip up from Cornwall, maybe be one day but I'II definately go to the SW star party on Exmoor if it happens again.

Joking aside it is one serious scope. I am not envious just pleased for you. I just hope the skies clear for you to use it when you get it. Now where are the full set of Ethos to go in it? It is just a pity we live at opposite ends of the country as I would have loved to try my Ethos 21 in it.

Have they changed the upper ring from a single flat ring to a cylinder ? I'm sure I saw one at Kelling that was smaller and had the focuser hanging underneath the secondary ring with stiffening supports.

I just mention it because that looks like a chunky eyepiece to be hanging off the top !

Waiting for the report ..

Mike

Have they changed the upper ring from a single flat ring to a cylinder ? I'm sure I saw one at Kelling that was smaller and had the focuser hanging underneath the secondary ring with stiffening supports.

I just mention it because that looks like a chunky eyepiece to be hanging off the top !

Mike

May be you are confusing the Canopus with the Alkaid suitcase dob? The latter has a flat ring secondary cage and is available up to 14".

Mike

Yep sounds like the Alkaid to me which is a different model to mine.

Balance issues was something that I wanted to get right, I told Sumerian that I wanted to use a 26mm Nagler, Paracorr ,12x60 TS Finder and there solution was to spread Alt bearings. This was all checked in the final assembly so it should be correctly set up when I receive it.

I would like to say that customer service from Sumerian has been fantastic, it truly is a custom telescope built around what I had in mind and his experience of building these scopes.

There isnt alot of reviews on the Canopus around, a couple on some Dutch forums which I had to translate but I couldnt find any English reviews so I will give a full review with all the details as soon as I get my hands on it which will hopefully be before the weekend.

Thanks for the comments gents. :)

this is one of the things that they seem to get very right and e.g. Skywatcher etc get so wrong. a large alt bearing (generally matched to the ground board in diameter) will make a scope much easier to balance.

that said, balancing any dob built in this way is always a challenge.

Archived