Horsehead Nebula - from Kielder Autumn Starcamp 2012

mikeyscope

Horsehead Nebula from Kielder Starcamp 2012

Canon 60Da with telephoto lens @ f 7

3 x 600sec @ iso 800

No Flat Frames

No Dark Frames

(Quick & dirty)

3 x 600 sec exposures - 2 with satellite trails (cloned out) & 1 stained blue with daylight fast approaching.

8104191423_1d55ac6b43_o.jpg

Horsehead Nebula from Kielder Autumn Starcamp 2012 by mikeyscope, on Flickr

Thanks for positive feedback folks...

What focal length lens?

Gina...thanks, it's an 800mm ...I think around 1280mm equivalent on the 60Da

Lovely image. Is the diffraction pattern lens induced or added during PP?

Bob.

Bob ...thanks, most older lenses produce diffraction spikes but the new lenses now tend to have rounded diaphragms designed to reduce this effect and improved the bokeh for daylight photographers.

Mike

Wowsers! Stunning! I would also love to know what mout you had for 600 second subs,

Really beautiful!

Sent from my laptop because I don't want to end up with arthritic thumbs and I hate being on call 24/7 so I refuse to carry one of these so called Smart Phones. So named becauase they are smarter than their owners!

Sorry - was that too bitchy? :evil:

Thanks again folks for the kind feedback ...

Dangerous-Dave

Cracking result Mike. Out of interest, what decided you to go for f7 over wide open or one stop down? It has certainly worked.

Dave

Thanks... it was just a balance between closing the diaphragm enough to produce diffraction spikes while keeping star images tight ...& enough light to keep exposures 600secs maximum because of possible noise build up, f8 would only have tightened the star images slightly more.

ian_bird

Wowsers! Stunning! I would also love to know what mout you had for 600 second subs,

Really beautiful!

Ian

Thanks...it's an AP1200 on field tripod but also autoguide with an SBIG STV through a Takahashi FS-60C anyway to be certain there will be no egg shaped stars.

Mike

Archived