Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Missed the big meteor? Me too. Solidarity thread.

jonathan

Yep. But which reason is the worst? I had my scope outside and did see a smaller fireball, I thought 'Wow, that was nice! Best one for a while.', then went inside to get warm until Jupiter came up past the tree line. Then I read on here about this massive fireball, gutted!

Then, when I did go back outside, I discover that my refractor has turned into a dew magnet while I was inside, every surface and lens is dripping. It also toppled over on the grass (which is soaking wet with dew) as I tried to get a better view of Jupiter up the garden. No harm done, and the view of Jupiter wasn't particularly awe-inspiring after it all, just a small white circle with four dots around it - seen it before, but much better. I probably sound all bitter about missing the big meteor, well I am! Hmph!

Your hmph thoughts welcome...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my scope was out and had just aligned it,optics had dewd up so turned heaters up and went in to make a brew, thats when i missed it.but on the flip side had my best views of jupiter ever was using 300x up untill around 2 then seeing got worse didnt know there was that many bands on jupiter.great night

Last night I was out with about 16 astronomy enthusiasts from our Society, who were enjoying an indian meal at a restaurant.. so none of us saw it. and we came out about 10.50pm! None of us looked up! Mind you i think it was cloudy...

NO worries i am sure another piece of burning up debris will be along in a while....))

I had just packed my kit up and gone inside I think. I'd spent an hour pottering around the perfectly clear sky with no enthusiasm because I'd just had a huge row with my wife........ We might be speaking by the next time it's clear! :kiss:

I missed by about 5 mins.......I didn't want to see it anyway...... :cry: :cry:

No me neither....it was only a shoting star after all! :grin:

I was watching TV and niping outside evrey 15 mins or so to check the cloud status...in truth I'm gutted to have missed it. Quite please however that I'm not the only one!

Archived