Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Guy At The Lounge

JoeRockEHF

Hey everyone! I'm Joe, used to get into astronomy when I was younger. Had a generic telescope back in the day and have always been fascinated with what's above us. Finally have made my way back into astronomy and can't wait to get started.

Do have a question though if you fine people could advise me on. I was planning on picking up the Celestron NexStar 130SLT in about a month. I've studied up on it and looks like a great beginner's scope. Really love the computerized tracking aspect of it too.

An opportunity has approached though and now I can buy a Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ for $80 this weekend. Should I jump on it or just be patient and save up and grab the NexStar next month?

Thank you and great forums!

Hi Joe and welcome to SGL, the old adage that aperture rules could have a bearing on your choice, the 130 SLT has more light gathering power than the 114EQ and accordingly the 130 should have the edge over the 114, but there will not be a lot in it. Then again there is your financial outlay, you can make a start in the hobby without making too big a hole in your pocket, once on the learning curve you will have time to consider the possible addition of your next scope, which I don`t doubt will have a much bigger aperture than those you are now considering. Just food for thought :hello2:

John.

Thank you everyone for the warm greetings!

I decided to pass on the Powerseeker and get the NexStar next month. In the meantime I bought a pair of Bushnell Falcon 10x50 binoculars from Target today. That'll get me by 'til I get the scope. Too bad the clouds were out in full force today. Thanks again everyone!

Hi Joe & welcome to the Lounge. In astronomy aperature and good optics are the key. If you want to roam with your equipment then physical size and easy setup is also a factor. There is plenty of help and knowledge on this site to help and guide you.

Archived