Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GoTo = Cheating?

lw24

why should it make a difference to the amateur community apart from snobbery?

Very true !!

A non goto for someone who, i'll admit didn't really know the skys (still don't for much), but the help of this site & stellarium, learning how to

But so wish I had & can't wait for the day I get that goto ......

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've served my time star hopping(30 odd years of it).

I got GoTo last winter and probabaly observed/photographed more faint fuzzies in 6 months that i did in the last 10 years.Wish i had got it years ago.

Its hardly cheating,just an advanced form of help,just like the first stars were, back in the dark ages.The choices are up to each individual ,so whatever floats your boat,floats your boat.

No rights,no wrongs,no cheating...just looking.:)

I actually operated the 1.5 m telescope of the Arcetri observatory in Gornergrat, Switzerland, for my BSc project in 1983. It did have goto, but the tracking was so bad I had to hand guide it. Not the most fun I have ever had.

Goto and autoguiding is just part of modern astronomy. However, knowing how to star hop helped a lot in Sydney, where I only had binoculars.

I do not know where to put pot-noodles in this comparison :).

Pot Noodle = 60mm SuperPowerStarFinder refractor on yoke Az mount on top of tripod made of pasta (fresh) as nought on ebay for £notEnough.

Each to their own. I don't use it but have no problem with it as long as I can't hear yours screeching from my garden :)
I'd love to hear that from my garden - it would mean a neighbour is also into astronomy - great to have someone else with same interest! :)

I agree with Swamp Thing, each to his own. I started with a goto mount and really enjoyed looking at objects instantly, enough for me to get curious and buy an equatorial mount and start hunting! So say la vie!!

GOTO is good for quickly finding something to image that can't be seen in the finder but swinging a big dob about, finding brighter things to actually look at is a blast.

Both have their ups and downs, smiles and frowns.

Very true !!

A non goto for someone who, i'll admit didn't really know the skys (still don't for much), but the help of this site & stellarium, learning how to

But so wish I had & can't wait for the day I get that goto ......

That's me to a "T".

With less than perfect skies, not a great kowledge of the skies, and limited viewing time due to rubbish weather I think the next investment will have to be a GOTO mount.

And no I won't considering that cheating, we're not in competition or taking an exam but out to get enjoyment from observing the night sky.

GOTO MOUNTS TAKE AWAY THE TRUE JOYS OF ASTRONOMY AND TAKE NO SKILL

in the same way computers take away the joy of thinking or cars take away the joy of travelling....

Unless you live in a tree with no power and dont use any technology then you have no right to state how someone gets their own joy from a using tech to enhance their own experience. (or not using tech, if that what they prefer)

Thank you for your intelligent and well considered contribution to the discussion.

I shall stop enjoying my hobby until I am doing it correctly. Please let me know when my observing techniques meet your exacting standards.

Or am I just feeding the troll?

Chris

I have met , in my time, individuals who think that unless the art of star hopping and quite a large amount of astronomical knowledge can be absorbed and regurgitated at will , then persons should not dare seak the wonders of the heavens by somehow not being worthy :) I am pleased to say however that they are in the absolute minority as this thread seems to suggest .

I like many others , scoured the night sky with a group of a few friends in the quest of locating our chosen targets and yes it was great fun BUT there was no alternative. I am a Goto fan and suggest that any method that brings the delights of the subject to the individual or group , an absolute winner.

The subject of Astronomy is so diverse that it accommodates a multitude of equipment and people alike , old and new,and as so many of you have stated , there is no right or wrong if it works for you. :)

Archived