Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Guy from Pennsylvania

Zambonikane

Hey Folks,

My name is Mike and I am from a town just outside of Philadelphia PA. I am a high school science teacher(Biology, Physical Science, and Chemistry) and have had an interest in astronomy for as long as I can remember. I am weeks a way (maybe sooner) from getting my first real scope (a 6 or 8 inch reflector unless you all can convince me otherwise), but in the meantime will be exploring the night sky with my new set of binoculars for as long as I can stand the cold (which seems to be about the length of time my eyes need to get dark adapted!). My goal is to marry my photography hobby to astronomy to produce images that I can only hope will come close to approach some of the shots that have been posted on the boards here. I am looking forward to getting to know you all and to learn a ton!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL from me too. Your choice of 6 or 8" reflector sounds good to me. Do your homework first. Lots of godd advice available here at SGL. Remember aperture rules in most cases so I would be looking at 8" if possible.

Hi mike and welcome. Binoculars are a great place to start and learn your way around the sky. That invest in time will really pay off when you do get a scope and start to tour the sky with it. There is a mass of information on this forum about astrophotography when you get to that.

Archived