Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Philips SPC880NC is now.......

russ

You may/will need a video capture programme open when you are doing the flashing, craterlet or something, helps WcRmac to see the cam. see the top picture in russ's instructions

did two slowly yesterday:):)

(J's dad)

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke,

If you can't solve your XP problem, send the cameras to me I'll flash and return for the cost of postage.

PM me.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I'm looking around for an XP model to borrow, but if that fails I'll get in touch.

A coupla questions about the LX software for this camera. First of all, does anyone know how applicatiosn like wxastrocapture actually work. I can think of two possibilities

1.) when taking the long exposure, the webcam is actually streaming black frames back to the app all the time, the application knows when it turns off the LX mode and then just grabs the next frame that comes down after that ... or

2.) The webcam doesn't send anything until it's asked to either stream or send a single frame. The LX software controls the exposure, then tells the camera to send a single image - which would contain all the info on the CCD

Can anyone tell me if either of these 2 assumptions is correct - or if not, what does go on in the software?

Thanks, Pete

Edited by pete_l

Anyone found issues of Windows Vista or 7 not seeing the cam as a SPC900 after the flash?.. I done both of mine, XP is more than happy in seeing both as SPC900NC and work fine. Installed the SPC900 drvier software on both my vista & W7 machines, w7 just does not recognise the cam.. vista does not pick up what it is to start with.. then after a short time displays spc900nc and try's to install a driver. That finishes but it does not work. device manger displays 'not recognised'

Rob

This is the FOV from the 2.1mm lens ont the SPC880 .. plan is to mount this on the end of the SCT in the obs to keep an eye on the sky... and see when I need to pop out to tweak the dome...

2-1mm%20Skycam.jpg

wow that's a scary picture. Looks like the house is about to be ungulfed in a huge blast :) Had to double take to see they were trees and not a blast cloud.

Edited by russ

Needs a bit of tweaking and i am not suere about what codec to use... at the end of the day for this application frame rate isnt an issue also the lens might not have an IR coating on it... again not so much of an issue and might actually be beneficial for night time cloud monitoring...

I might go with Phils suggestion and jack the existing lens mount forward using spacers

Peter..

Anyone found issues of Windows Vista or 7 not seeing the cam as a SPC900 after the flash?.. I done both of mine, XP is more than happy in seeing both as SPC900NC and work fine. Installed the SPC900 drvier software on both my vista & W7 machines, w7 just does not recognise the cam.. vista does not pick up what it is to start with.. then after a short time displays spc900nc and try's to install a driver. That finishes but it does not work. device manger displays 'not recognised'

Rob

Windows 7 64bit here and it shows as an unspecified USB device, looking into the properties it shows drivers for the SPC900NC video and microphone. It works fine in skype and capture programs, stopped working on the original USB port though, changed ports and its seen again.

Vista 32bit and it shows up in Devices under sounds I think it was.

Edited by MarkF

It's really worth installing the original Philips drivers for the SPC900. This is so much more than just an average webcam. It can follow your face, for example. Looks like you've got your own camera man following you around... ;-)