SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Philips SPC880NC is now.......

russ

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows 7 64bit here and it shows as an unspecified USB device, looking into the properties it shows drivers for the SPC900NC video and microphone. It works fine in skype and capture programs, stopped working on the original USB port though, changed ports and its seen again.

Vista 32bit and it shows up in Devices under sounds I think it was.

This is funny.. if i attach it to vista 32bit enterprise.. then take a look in scanners & cameras it adds a Xerox scanner??.. :)

Vista is so rubbish!.. oh well

I've just pulled one of mine to pieces to look at the options for rehousing it. Anyone managed to remove the cable from the housing yet without breaking the housing? It looks like the connector to the camera board was added after the cable was threaded through the housing.

Edited by Photosbykev

I was thinking about building some sort of box for one. But then I thought, how much better/smaller could you actually make it. The original housing seems quite neat and small, albeit round in an unusual dimension... ;-)

I think it's actually one of the few webcams with a half decent housing.

Probably be necessary if you went to the extent of active cooling I guess.

Wayne.....

Talking about capture software, tried Sharpcap but it just crashes for me when I select the flashed webcam (Netbook running XP), but Craterlet works ok. Anyone else having issues with Sharpcap?

Big thanks to Robin for diagnosing this - rogue .dll left over from a now-departed DMK21. All working now :)

Well my cams came last Tuesday but i only got round to opening them on Thursday Iv been resting after Kellling . At least my PC;s are all XP in my radio shack so i was ok I do have a vaio but that is Vista and as has been said its quite flaky the only only other is a small acer AA1 but that is on Linux but then again picks up the SPC900NC ok and there is a few bits of software out there for astro stuff for use with the AA1 Thanks for small mercies i say

Anyway i flashed all the cams with no problems Well after i found out they had to be running/streaming in another program and not just having the flashing s/w running I found this out after trying it on all three XP M/c's LOL But guess what i also never ordered any adapters and they have only just become available again. So seeing I have a lathe that i used to use for model steam engines i thought id have a go at knocking one up,So i stripped one of the cams and looked at the lens (first stumbling block) I have no metric cutting gears (im old so am still into feet inches and thous) So in a flash of inspiration I turned down the old lens id just removed from the spc to above the thread flange (thread is M12 x 0.5) down to 12mm to use later, and then turned a piece of hard plastic i had down to the sizes given on Wayne's site (thanks Wayne) I cut the 1-1/8 x 42tpi in the 1-1/4 end for the filter knurled a 5mm section i then opened up the 18mm dia back bit (this is the bit that sits in the web-cam to support the threaded but somewhat) to 12mm dia I then warmed it up in HOT water and pushed in the lens i had earlier turned down and after removing the glass internals from it, and when it cooled it was a solid fit no way that is budging and tried it im my 2 to 1-1/4 adapter and it fits perfect better than some of the cheap EP's i have so Im going to do 3 more for the others Not that im a cheap skate but seeing as i had not ordered them thought i would try and use what i had to hand Well thats my excuse and im sticking to it..:) :) so i will have a few to go at shortly

I may then try out some of the mods iv seen advertised.

Also I have been thinking of fitting a fan on one end of the round case and cutting vents into the other end and powering the fan from the USB power. Does anyone think this would work and be advantages at all?

Regs Andy

Edited by oshb5

Anyone managed to remove the cable from the housing yet without breaking the housing? It looks like the connector to the camera board was added after the cable was threaded through the housing.

After unplugging from the board, grip the cable from the inside where it comes through the housing with some pliers (there's two notches on either side) and turn it 90 degrees. You can then pull it out easily.

Dave

After unplugging from the board, grip the cable from the inside where it comes through the housing with some pliers (there's two notches on either side) and turn it 90 degrees. You can then pull it out easily.

Dave

Cheers Dave, it will be interesting to see if the connector will fit through the hole once the grommet has been removed.

Hi All could someone please put up a photo of a finished mod of this webcam,

Tia

Mike

Mike,

Do you mean just a basic fitting to the scope mod? Or the long exposure Mod?

For the former Philips SPC900NC Webcam for Astrophotography

Just got my adapter through and it took me about a minute to fit. Now its nice and snug in my imaging case :) awaiting for some cloud clearance and targets.

Just flashed two of my five, no problems at all, working lovely on my XP laptop. Had them both running in Sharpcap. Lovely bit of software that, will be having a go at some solar imaging later.

Got one setup with one of Waynes adapters and a clear glass filter for now until I can get a cut filter, the other still has the lens on it and I've been playing with it in VLounge, that face tracking is really good.

Thanks again Russ, top find.

Unfortunately today's delivery of webcam adapters didn't arrive so it looks like we will be dispatching them tomorrow. They are sent via First Class mail so, in theory, they will begin landing on doormats Saturday.

You must have got them out quickly - mine was delivered before I got home from work on Friday. The adapter and end cap are excellent!

Andrew

has anyone got a photo of the front of these shooting down the barrel on these webcam adapters, are they baffled on the inside ?
The FLO adaptors are stepped internally, mine dropped through the letterbox this morning along with a UV/IR-cut filter Edited by Photosbykev