Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Philips SPC880NC is now.......

russ

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran out of those caps Russ so had to drop that from the spec. The caps are of course in stock at FLO and have been for some weeks. It was more a way of creating awareness of the caps as they are a fairly unique item as far as we know. Quite a few went out with the white caps which to be honest no-one really wants.

Edited by wayne weedon

Sorry if I'm repeating stuff, but I've read through all these threads to find an answer.

As I understand it, it is absolutely impossible to flash these webcams or get them to work UNLESS you have Windows XP.

Is that right?

I only have Windows 7 and have no access to a pc with XP, so does that mean I can't do it? How many people still have XP anyway?

Did you see the post about the Free XP license for VM's under windows 7?

.... I think so, but didn't understand it! I have a new laptop and don't want to mess it up by installing some ancient version of windows on it. Or maybe I've misunderstood the whole process. and what's a VM?

Edited by lukebl

Ran out of those caps Russ so had to drop that from the spec. The caps are of course in stock at FLO and have been for some weeks. It was more a way of creating awareness of the caps as they are a fairly unique item as far as we know. Quite a few went out with the white caps which to be honest no-one really wants.

I highly recommend the cap, brilliant keeping the filter in place and screwing the cap into the filter......great idea!

Have to highly commend you on the quality of the threads as well....so smooth.

:eek::D

I think the long exposure mod will sort out the sensitivity issues. Question!! would you need the IR/UV cut filter if you were only using this as a guide cam?

Acme

It's possible, but I'm not sure PHD or other guiding software would recgonise the long exposure mod part of the camera. I have a cam on a long term loan with a LX mod on it but that uses a serial port so I've never used it in that way. Another thing to take into account is that using longer exposures to guide with might result in larger corrections to the mount which could be to the detriment of the image (odd shaped stars for example), I normally guide using exposures of 1 second and I've only gone longer than that when I've had to.

And no, you won't need to use a IR/UV cut for guidecams :D.

Tony..

Just want to say that the adapters from Wayne are first class. The screw in dust cap is awesome, have that screwed into the filter. Nice work Wayne!

Couldn't agree more Russ, and unique too, noway they'll slip off when you're not looking !

now how about some with a C/CS fit so I can cover my cam chip etc nice and flush with the body ?

Tony if it stays clear and not too blustery ( as it looks like it might) then it's defo Mak night ! It's had it's li'l ol' fan blowing now for 2hrs down by the open basement door , just yapping to get out there and eat some planet(s) :D

Lukebl

VM stands for Virtual Machine, google it, you may be able to download a trial version and do your doings and never use it again..You do need a copy (Legal) of XP OS to run on VMWare though. PM if you want more on VMWare.

Acme

Edited by acme

3 cams received and flashed to the SPC 900 spec with zero problems, thank you Russ for the info on the front page.

Now the fun begins! I want an adaptor that will allow me to put one of the webcams onto the back of a Canon 600mm f4L prime lens with an EF mount.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing one of Waynes noses :) and ???

Edited by Photosbykev

PHD offers, in its camera dialog, "Long exposure webcam with LXUSB" and "Long exposure webcam with Parallel/Serial" so I think it can use LX modded webcams as guide cameras.

I've just flashed mine (worked a treat :) ) on my wife's laptop which gave me an excuse to download the newest version of PHD to use as a capture device and I did spot that to LX cams seem to be catered for, looks like everyone's covered :).

Tony..