SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Philips SPC880NC is now.......

russ

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally received my two from Morgans to complement the one from Dion. And a plus, I also got my nosepiece from Wayne :eek: thank you great service and quite nicely made too.

I will have a go at flashing the cams in a minute and then I will get down to praying for clear skies tonight :)

Also I'd like to know if wxastrocapture is a good capture program to use?

K3CCD free won't run on vista 64 and craterlet won't keep my settings fixed, such as the frame rate for example, keeps changing back to 30fps when I have set to 10fps and saved it :D

Wahay!!! I have managed to flash both cams with the spc900 firmware and get them to run on my vista 64 laptop :D

Had a problem with the register software as it keep locking up at the "backup and saves as" step, so I ad to miss that bit out and load the firmware straight on. But now it's on and they capture well in wxastrocapture so I think that'll be the be the one I'll use from now on.

And thanks yet again Russ for taking the time to upload your tutorial and do all the necessary research, much appreciated.

I was going to suggest not bothering with the backup stage in my tutorial but thought better of it just in case things went wrong.

I've been playing around with Craterlet and the camera is working well. Hopeing for a first go on Jupiter tonight. Like Wayne, it will be with an Orion Europa 150. Lets hope the weather is right.

Hi

Just fitted one of Wayne's adaptors to my cam. Nice piece of kit. Filter by the weekend I hope. Sharpcam downloaded and running.

Anyone going to sort an idiots guide of "how to" image or has someone already obliged ? Real plain and simple would be fab.

Cant wait to give it a go !! John

You sound like a man who's good with ideas......I got a super wide fish eye knocking about, and a spare cam from Morgans, but no adaptor to connect to the fisheye (well I've got one but it's slightly to small).....any ideas on how I might get around that? :D

This is the lens i bought 160 degree FOV...

2.1mm Board Lens 160° Angle FOV for CCTV Dome Camera on eBay (end time 19-Sep-10 11:45:11 BST)

For it to focus it basically had to be held flush with the lens mount in the 880... so no threads to hold them together.. I had a bit of self adhesive heat shrink which just fitted around the base of the existing lens mount and shrunk down to hold the lens... i used one of those cheap craft heat guns on its lowest setting which was enough heat to shrink the tube without melting the glue or desoldering the components from the 880's pcb...

Another way to do it is remove the existing lens bezel and lens make a ring of blue tack to temporarily hold the lens in place then when you have it focused just use a bead of hotmelt around the edge of the lens...

Peter...

This is the lens i bought 160 degree FOV...

2.1mm Board Lens 160° Angle FOV for CCTV Dome Camera on eBay (end time 19-Sep-10 11:45:11 BST)

For it to focus it basically had to be held flush with the lens mount in the 880... so no threads to hold them together.. I had a bit of self adhesive heat shrink which just fitted around the base of the existing lens mount and shrunk down to hold the lens... i used one of those cheap craft heat guns on its lowest setting which was enough heat to shrink the tube without melting the glue or desoldering the components from the 880's pcb...

Another way to do it is remove the existing lens bezel and lens make a ring of blue tack to temporarily hold the lens in place then when you have it focused just use a bead of hotmelt around the edge of the lens...

Peter...

Ah gotcha - for some reason I thought you was referring to a fish eye from an SLR (which i've got knocking about doing nothing, and keep looking for a project to incorporate it into).....

Just bought one of those lenses off ebay, the wife has got the craft heat gun etc....so i'll give that a go! Thanks.

Well Well ordered 4 of the cams Russ told us about at Kelling then today started to look for the adapter and for some reason went back on Morgans site and he now has them at £10.99 so could have saved on postage Never mind at least i know and if its not been mentioned so will anyone else that wants one with the can when they order. Iv had the Cams since before i got home but been so tired i aint even opened the package LOL..

Regs Andy

P.S. thanks again Russ you did us all a huge favor, More bits to play with :D

It needs a bit adding to it rather than some coming off...

You could protect the pcb with silver foil when your using the heat gun just in case...

If a couple of you want some of the "ideal" heat shrink just drop me you postal addys in pm's and I'll put some in the post...

It will be used for imaging clouds - well hopefully clear skies but will give me a an ultra wide FOV shot to keep an eye on for approaching clouds when I am running the kit from in the house...

Peter...

Edited by Psychobilly

I had trouble after flashing mine in VMWare 6 running XP on a Vista laptop. After flashing it I closed VMWare and expected my original SPC900NC drivers to pick it up but it did not, all I had was "Unidentified HardWare" showing in "Device Manager" I even tried the original drivers disk that came with my SPC900NC..Vista failed to install any drivers until I had uninstalled the "Device" I then download and ran the driver that "Russ" linked to. Works fine now. Shows up as an SPC900NC in Vista. Don't know what I am going to do with 3 of them, I have a guide cam..lol

Acme

Edited by acme

Can these be used as a guide cam? Not that I'm equipped for that yet but just thinking aloud and ahead.

Would it be worth leaving one as original firmware so that two could be used on the same system?

Wayne.....

You should be able to use one as a guide cam Wayne, there is an option to use one in PHD, but just be aware that they're not the most sensitive of chips so trying to find a guide star in a sparse part of the sky could prove to be tricky.

As it goes, I might well try one out as a guide cam when I get the nosepiece I ordered from you today!

Tony..