Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Philips SPC880NC is now.......

russ

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it also the fact that the SPC880 will onmly work on a Windows XP machine, however once you have flashed it, it will work on any version of windows - XP and above.

Not sure on this, but that is what I had gleaned from reading all the posts.

Being new to imaging I have brought a 880 plus nosepiece from Morgans for £22. Prices has gone up since the start of this thread.

They should be here in a couple of days, no rush as my 10in Dob is being picked up on Sunday.

Now I did not go for the IR filter at Moragns as I have read that I need and IR and UV filter and I think the Morgans one is just IR. So I shall get the IR/UV filter from scopesnskies

With out an eyepiece (he comes the dumb question :o ) how can you get high magnification images? Would I just have to rely on a Barlow?

Thanks

Yes, barlows are the only way to change magnification. The sensor size of teh SPC880/900 determines the "base magnification", i.e. the mag you get without a barlow. This is roughly equivalent to what you would see through a 6mm eyepiece.

Yes, barlows are the only way to change magnification. The sensor size of teh SPC880/900 determines the "base magnification", i.e. the mag you get without a barlow. This is roughly equivalent to what you would see through a 6mm eyepiece.

Thank you.

I am getting very much excited for when I get my Dob on Sunday and pray for clear skies and try it all out and to see Jupiter much clearer than my 4in Reflector

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, the leaflet that came with the Revelation filter from Morgans does expressly refer to it being a IR and UV cut filter. I'd be interested to see a transmission curve but as IR is (I think) the main problem with webcam imaging, I'm not too bothered either way.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this forum, please forgive if I breach any protocols.

Like others I've ordered a SPC880 webcam from Morgans and I assume that the downloadable *.inf file will activate the webcam on my computer.

However:

Firstly please advise the advantages of flashing to SPC900NC status; with its inherent risk of fatal damage to the webcam?

Secondly in "Philips SPC900NC Uncovered" reference is made to Howard C Anderson's non-flash method of upgrading. - but this requires files from the 'original philps installation disk'

Does anyone know how I can get these files?

regards

Tony

The main advantages of flashing the SPC880 to an SPC900 are 1) you can use it on Windows 7 (and Vista?) as there are no Win7 drivers for the SPC880 an 2) you can get to all the little settings that the original Philips driver offers for the SPC900 but the .inf file for the SPC880 does not.

As for the risks, many here have done it an had no issues. Just make sure you're doing the flashing on a Windows XP otherwise it won't work.

The main advantages of flashing the SPC880 to an SPC900 are 1) you can use it on Windows 7 (and Vista?) as there are no Win7 drivers for the SPC880 an 2) you can get to all the little settings that the original Philips driver offers for the SPC900 but the .inf file for the SPC880 does not.

As for the risks, many here have done it an had no issues. Just make sure you're doing the flashing on a Windows XP otherwise it won't work.

I've now seen an unflashed SPC880 used on Windows 7. Don't ask me exactly how it's done but it basically uses the 900 driver but just requires you to manually point to the driver rather than let Windows pick it.

Edited by haitch

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, the leaflet that came with the Revelation filter from Morgans does expressly refer to it being a IR and UV cut filter. I'd be interested to see a transmission curve but as IR is (I think) the main problem with webcam imaging, I'm not too bothered either way.

You can check the filter is working by doing the 'tv remote' test. Point the remote at the webcam and press a button, if you see the light then the IR is being let through. Try it with your mobile phone camera and you should see the light

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Ok, Got to report a Failure:mad:

* Managed to install 880NC drivers, and XP recognised the Webcam

* Installed and ran WcrMac and located the Webcam

* Went to Binary (having located the bin file in the correct folder) and selected Bin File, then Send to Webcam

* WcrMac went away and did its thing, but then after what seemed a couple of minutes, reported `Failed to Send File`

Now the Webcam is not recognised by XP (as a webcam)

When `Found New Hardware Wizard` starts up and is pointed to the SPC880NC driver it reports that the correct driver could not be found.

If I open up WcrMac then it fails to find the Webcam:(

Looks like I have a `Duffer` unless anyone can point me in the right direction to sort it out?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Mark

Ok, Got to report a Failure:mad:

* Managed to install 880NC drivers, and XP recognised the Webcam

* Installed and ran WcrMac and located the Webcam

* Went to Binary (having located the bin file in the correct folder) and selected Bin File, then Send to Webcam

* WcrMac went away and did its thing, but then after what seemed a couple of minutes, reported `Failed to Send File`

Now the Webcam is not recognised by XP (as a webcam)

When `Found New Hardware Wizard` starts up and is pointed to the SPC880NC driver it reports that the correct driver could not be found.

If I open up WcrMac then it fails to find the Webcam:(

Looks like I have a `Duffer` unless anyone can point me in the right direction to sort it out?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Mark

Try Unplug, reboot, install 900NC drivers, then plug in webcam.

Edited by SniffTheGlove