Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The first thing you saw through your new scope?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A chimney a few streets away - I was lining up the finder. I sure Chris Packham would be delighted in this as I also managed to identify crow poo on said chimney thru the scope! Multi tasking or what!

It was the moon for me on Boxing Day 1983 using a 50mm Tasco refractor......best christmas present ever! A day i will remember forever and only surpassed by first view of Saturn a few months later on the 6th June 1984...:D

Other than the pointy bit on top of the religious building across the valley, M42 was the first thing I viewed through the 10" SNT was M42, whilst the SNT was bungeed to a sack truck and leaning against a stack of breeze blocks. Note: I have since improved this set up by a fair degree!

The first thing I saw through my 60mm Prinz Astral 400 was an upside down cow. It was either my 10th Birthday or Christmas the same year, I don't remember which. The first thing I saw through my SW150P was Betelgeuse, to align the finder.

Rik

It was the moon for me on Boxing Day 1983 using a 50mm Tasco refractor......best christmas present ever! A day i will remember forever and only surpassed by first view of Saturn a few months later on the 6th June 1984...:D

Funny as mine was almost exactly the same. About 1983 (I may be a year out) with a 60mm tasco I'd had for Christmas I couldn't believe how amazing the Moon looked at x75! I saw Saturn not long after through my cousins similar scope at about x30 and could just make out the oval shape of the rings. Thought it was the best thing ever.

Archived