Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The first thing you saw through your new scope?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

skywatcher 200p yesterday, found a gap in the clouds and aligned the scope on Arctaurus, as it was the brightest thing in the sky at the time, then immediately on to saturn :D jawdropping!

I bought my first scope a couple of months ago and the first thing I saw was the moon followed by Saturn. Mind blowing stuff! I took a couple of pictures at the same time by holding my compact camera to the eyepiece. I hope to be getting a DSLR soon so will be able to take some better ones.

post-19688-133877459814_thumb.jpg

post-19688-13387745982_thumb.jpg

Well my first object was the moon with my 60mm Tasco when I was 14. Then I had a Meade 114ec goto owned for a week jun 09 (took back as it was so unsteady and really bad goto) which I think I seen Saturn, then I saw Saturn, Moon and Vega in my 130p last jun on 1st night out.

OK the very first thing I saw was the inside of the lense cap:)

Once I'd got over that basic mistake, I'm pleased to say my very first object was actually M42. Even now although I mainly do imaging, I can't resist swinging round to M42 for a visual when it's in the sky. After that of course it has to be the moon - a nice easy target and never fails to impress - even in low powered scopes.

I can now say after four hours of trying to align my scope - i gave up for the night, went in to my daughters room and saw a bright star next to the moon - took the scope up and with out aligning, slew it to the star and was happy to say the first main objective for me was Jupiter and its moons! didn't get much detail, as i was aiming between two street lights on a crooked floor low in horizon, amazing!

Archived