NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Work/Life balance

tarqs101

Does anybody else find it really difficult to get out observing in their everyday lives?!

I don't know about you but I teach a Year 1 infant class and have 2 children under 5 so finding the time and energy during term time is so difficult :D

How do you balance this amazing hobby with your day to day lives??

Gavin

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caffeine. And lots of it!!!!

It is really difficult sometimes - seems mad doesn't it, to take up a hobby that ensures you get little/no sleep at night when you have a hectic day-life!!

It will become easier in the Autumn/Winter when its darker earlier

I don't know about you but I teach a Year 1 infant class and have 2 children under 5 so finding the time and energy during term time is so difficult :D

Gavin

As has been said it is difficult at this time of year esp during the week. The most debilitating thing for people to do when they have busy, taxing lives is to spend their free moments flopped in front of the telly. I find the energy I expend on the hobby comes from a different supply to the one I use for work and domestic duties. Except when I stay up silly late I find my hobbies actually revitalise me when it comes to work. It is difficult, when knackered, to push myself to get out into the garden on a night that might just end up being clear and it usually ends in frustration...still worth it though.

Hi Gavin,

Am in a similar boat to you.....I teach juniors and have two boys under 7......This time of year, I just don't bother as I know I'll wake up the next day (or rather later the same day) being no good to anyone. However, as Martin has said, if it was a good night I don't seem to feel quite so tired the next day....Also, loads of coffee helps:coffee2::D!!!

Stef

A young company and two young Sons means I find it increasingly difficult to observe. I value those times under the stars, it stills the mind (despite the caffeine!) and provides perspective.

The most debilitating thing for people to do when they have busy, taxing lives is to spend their free moments flopped in front of the telly.
Absolutely! That glass teat in the corner of the living room has a lot to answer for!

Steve :D

Easy. I gave up work!

Well, not quite as easy. I'd had a really bad time at work over a number of years (stress brought on by ludicrous management. The lunatics really had taken over the asylum), resulting in complete loss of interest in anything. Affecting marriage, kids, etc. So decided enough's enough, and resigned, to work for myself earlier this year. Now enjoying doing the school run (2 kids at Primary school), and in life generally. Wake up every day with a smile on my face, even if I'm knackered after a late night at the scope! Wifey thinks an alien is occupying her former miserable husband.

Somewhat financially poorer, and my teacher wife has to work more hours, but quality of life for all of us is immeasurably better.

.....So decided enough's enough, and resigned, to work for myself earlier this year. Now enjoying doing the school run (2 kids at Primary school), and in life generally. Wake up every day with a smile on my face, even if I'm knackered after a late night at the scope! Wifey thinks an alien is occupying her former miserable husband.

..... but quality of life for all of us is immeasurably better.

I recognize a lot of the above (especially the alien bit :D )

I did the same in the end, got out of a job that was slowly driving me insane and joined a certain young astro company :p

I find the kids do cut my opportunities to get out there but even my wife recognizes the therapeutic benefit I gain from a good nights imaging/observing and she's generally pretty supportive.

To be honest I just haven't found a better way to relax than astronomy so it's worth the lack of sleep and fatigue the next day... my colleagues at work may not agree of course...

James

I have had an astronomy-free few months and haven't been on this lovely forum as much as I wanted because of uni coming to an end, moving out, having no internet, looking for a job and not to mention no money - but I am back on track now. During the time that I just didn't have the energy or the get-up-and-go to get out at night I had a cup of tea and just gave myself 10 minutes just looking up - no equipment, not even my binoculars, and just gave me and the stars 10 minutes to get to know eachother again. Just that small amount of time really kept me going, and now I'm back on top form :D

The light nights make sleeping difficult so for the next few weeks I just keep myself sane with NLC hunting, ISS passes, iridium flares and the occasional sweep of Cygnus region with my binoculars. I think you can adapt the hobby for the lighter nights to keep you going, aslong as the sky is cloud free. It's also a great time to study the Moon, I love to watch it change as the month goes on. But once the winter comes, I will be out every night with my scope permanently set up again.

My job means getting up at 0545 weekdays, if clear skies are predicted I try to get to bed early and get up at about 0230 - 0300. I find a couple of hours observing makes for a serene start at work, however i do finish earlyish and catch an afternoon snooze! Weekends I pray for clear skies and try to get in at least two hours on Friday or Saturday - if I can keep my eyes open I have even managed the odd all nighter.

Well atm I

Run a shop, run another online business, and maintain 3 other online stores. Just had child number 4. In the process of opening a new shop. In the process of Moving house.

Im busy :D

I have a job that keeps me visiting companys all over the country so Im out early (from 5am) and back late (6 to 9pm). Summer is a killer as its only dark when I have to sleep. In the few days I have with no meetings I work from home so manage to get a few nights in...Even this is going to change as We have a baby on the way.

Roll on winter!

In the autumn/winter it's easy - kids in bed by 8, an hour or two in the garden, in bed at a reasonable time to thaw out.

In the summer it's just too darn bright out there. Been out with bins in the half light at 10pm a few times, just to try to re-familiarise myself with the sky. Had a few looks at the moon, saturn and am watching earlier ISS passes when they happen.

Apart from that, checking out what's for sale on astrobuysell and fleabay!

Thats about it

Wonder if some plan too much, including the planning to observe.

So many things can get in the way that making a specific decision to observe on say Friday night is fine, but almost impossible to guarantee. Then leads to more stress.

At this time of year I tend to simply have it as a background idea, if the skies look clear then I may have a nap, for a bit of rest, then if still clear I will get the scope out, set up and observe.

Makes it more relaxing and for me is the reason for a small scope. Speed can be essential. Our weather can change very fast.

I know that observing when the next day is work is pretty pointless so it is rarely considered. Maybe when it is dark by 8:00pm, then I can have an hour or two. Until September I will simply take what chances occur and these, I know, will be few.

I have a job teaching at the uni and doing research (which is great fun, until you have to write too many funding proposals), have two kids 6 and nearly 8, which I regularly take to school, so I am kept very busy and am indeed rather tired too often.

I do feel saying "hang the work, I'm getting out the telescope" and just spending some time out there recharges the batteries. Seeing other planets and galaxies somehow does put things in perspective.

Plus, I often get new ideas for research when relaxing behind the scope (the scope, the shower and the loo are the best places to get new ideas, especially for algorithms and theory :D).

Archived