NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SGL6 Dates

Ant

I would like to come to this, do i need to put my name down on a list?

Watch this space for an announcement in the coming days.... Grant is currently putting together the booking mechanism and once its tested we can go live on bookings. We'll do an announcement post, and will put a banner up too - so no-one will be able to miss it!!

Helen

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably an unfair question but is there anything 'laid on' during the day at these events? The reason I ask is that I bet that there are lots of people who think they know collimation reasonably well (like me!!) but are self taught (like me!!) and would welcome someone who truly knows what they are doing to run through the process as they do it and maybe (if there are enough expert volunteers) even have someone to watch over we mere mortals as we fumble our way through a collimation?

This would do a few things 1) get everyone mingling (like we need an excuse) 2) pass some time in the day 3) allow everyone to get the most of their gear for the night's viewing. Just a thought.

cheers

Shane

hi all, got a couple of noob questions; do you always have yearly meets at this site or do they vary?

I'm only an hour drive away so may well come along, are kids welcome?

Is this area of uk considered good for dark skies?

Sorry for so many Q's !

Dean

hi all, got a couple of noob questions; do you always have yearly meets at this site or do they vary?

I'm only an hour drive away so may well come along, are kids welcome?

Is this area of uk considered good for dark skies?

Sorry for so many Q's !

Dean

Hi Dean,

The last couple of SGL star parties (the "official" ones) have been at this site - that was April 2009 and April 2010 so it's an annual event. I don't know what happened before that.

I've attended 1 night of the 09 one (SGL4) and 2 nights last year (SGL5) and all 3 nights were clear and dark ! - That was probably a fluke though :D

It's a pretty decent observing site and, as you can imagine, some care has gone into selecting it.

We always try and run a "family friendly" forum and the star parties are no exception - there is plenty to do in the area in the daytimes as I'm sure you know.

The only thing is that there will be lots of equipment set up in the dark (we are quite strict on lights of course !) so children would need careful supervision to make sure they don't bump into things !. But children are very welcome and I'm sure they would get a chance to look through some scopes as well :evil1:

Booking details will be coming out soon so watch out for them !.

@Shane - we are looking to organise talks/workshops/troubleshooting etc - more details will be announced shortly :evil1:

@newt - yes, but not necessarily will always be at Lucksall. Kids are welcome, provided they are supervised properly (there will be lots of expensive kit around :D ). It's not a bad dark sky, but its a good social event too :)

This is probably an unfair question but is there anything 'laid on' during the day at these events? The reason I ask is that I bet that there are lots of people who think they know collimation reasonably well (like me!!) but are self taught (like me!!) and would welcome someone who truly knows what they are doing to run through the process as they do it and maybe (if there are enough expert volunteers) even have someone to watch over we mere mortals as we fumble our way through a collimation?

This would do a few things 1) get everyone mingling (like we need an excuse) 2) pass some time in the day 3) allow everyone to get the most of their gear for the night's viewing. Just a thought.

cheers

Shane

There where loads of talks and demo's going on throughout the day's when I was at SGL5 ,I went to a couple that where excellent and spent the rest of the time drinking red wine and falling over!

Hi,

What is the deal concerning noobsters at star parties? Is it a faux pas to roll up as a non-scope-owner? Everyone seems friendly here, but I'm just wondering if it's considered a bit cheeky to come only own binos, with a view to hopefully having a look through other people's scopes to decide what I might want to buy?

apologies if these are silly questions.

stephen

Stephen

SGL6 is aimed at being friendly and helping beginners. If you bring a pair of binos that will be fine. The Admin/Moderator team will be available throughout the period given advice as required.

Many individuals are happy to show your their equipment and will let you view as long as you asked permission first.

Details of the star party will be posted fairly soon so watch this space.

Mark

PS Your questions are not silly - we all were beginners once :)

These social gatherings can be difficult for some people to just turn up to for fear of being "out of it", it's normally the way with me whatever the occasion. Some people just find it hard to mix and I'm usually the one who walks aimlessly until someone strikes up a conversation. The need to learn more & more about this subject however means I will be there and making the effort to mix. It helps even more knowing that this appears to be a very friendly forum with incredibly knowledgeable people.

I'll be a newbie there too but from what I gather some of the attendees will indeed be 'out of it' (usually it's red wine that's to blame :))

seriously though, I doubt that anyone will be unhappy to talk and discuss the night sky / scope choices, eyepieces or anything at all connected (or even unconnected) with the hobby. just wander about (don't forget your red torch) and say hello - you'll get a nice response.:)

I for one will be taking my 12" dob but will be going with the specific intention of also trying to see through other people's scopes and get an idea what they can offer for future reference.

Yes, all very welcome with or without a scope, or binoculars. This year we're having a Welcome Tent, so you'll check in there on arrival (and so you'll get to meet some of the Mod team straightaway!), and it'll be point of contact all weekend too. We're also having a tea tent again, another meeting and chatting point, and the plan is for help and discussion sessions on Friday and Saturday in a couple of marquees. So hopefully it'll be easy to mingle and share help and advice :-)

Helen

Hi all,

new to this idea and it sounds great. Couple of questions though...

1. What is the view on dogs? Would like to bring ours but my first though is that dogs + expensive, fragile equipment is a Bad Idea unless there has been some provision made.

2. Does kit tend to be set up near the camping / parking area? We have a 2 year old daughter we would like to bring and obviously don't want to be too far away from the tent / camper.

Thanks, and sorry if you are already fed up of answering these questions!

J.

Archived