Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL6 Dates

Ant

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shane I think you will find that members arrive at all sorts of time pending on work commitments, travelling time etc. I think many like to arrive lunchtime/early afternoon to meet up with colleagues and have time to set up their kit for the night viewing.

I think the current expectation is that the first official observing night should be the 31st but Helen will be finalising arrangements for general viewing in due course.

Mark

I am thinking of going to SGL6 if I can, it would be a great opportunity to meet you all and get some real observing done under some really dark skies.

I am just a bit unsure of how easy it would be to carry the dob plus the necessary camping gear on the train to Hereford and then get to the campsite.

I'm pretty sure we could get you from the train station to the campsite and back again, but getting the dob AND the camping gear on the train would be a challenge, I think!

How much stuff are you planning on bringing, and how many bags/boxes does it equate to?

Well I have a pretty lightweight 2 man tent to bring, 1 sleeping bad, 1 roll mat and a holdall for the rest of the stuff. That is my usual list of camping gear for when I go away and that usually is the max for taking on a train, I don't how I'd cope with the dob in tow as well especially since it needs carrying due to lack of wheels.

If it helps in any way I'll be travelling from Gloucester to arrive at the site on the Thursday but then travelling North on Sunday to Anglesey, dropping off at Crewe wouldn't be a problem. I've got a new Mondeo but I've no idea how big the Dob is? would it fit across the backseat with my EQ6?

Hi Kev and thanks for the generous offer :)

The OTA is around 4 foot long and could just about fit onto the back seat of an old KA so it should be fine in you car, not sue about the mount though, could it fit in the footwell or in the boot if split?

The dob base is quite bulky and needs a bit of space for storage, it could probably fit nicely in the boot laid on it's side or even on my lap in the passenger seat.

Hi Kev and thanks for the generous offer :)

The OTA is around 4 foot long and could just about fit onto the back seat of an old KA so it should be fine in you car, not sue about the mount though, could it fit in the footwell or in the boot if split?

The dob base is quite bulky and needs a bit of space for storage, it could probably fit nicely in the boot laid on it's side or even on my lap in the passenger seat.

I'll be pretty loaded with kit BUT I'm sure we will get it all in to take back to Crewe. It's not as if it needs to be packed nicely just securely, it will only be me and you so the back seats and boot will be just for kit :)

If it comes to it, I'll be travelling from Anglesey to Gloucester probably Wednesday so I could pick up most of the kit on the way South as well

The other option is to just bring your camping gear, and maybe binos and use other people's scopes - that's half the fun of a star party anyway!!

Helen

I suppose I could just bring the binoculars if bringing the dob proves unfeasible, it would be a shame as I really wan't to try it under some dark skies which I don't have when observing from my back garden.

This is why I NEED a decent grab and go ota to sit atop my eq3-2, something like a ST 102/120 would suit me nicely I think for travelling and to complement my binoculars.

I'll be pretty loaded with kit BUT I'm sure we will get it all in to take back to Crewe. It's not as if it needs to be packed nicely just securely, it will only be me and you so the back seats and boot will be just for kit :)

If it comes to it, I'll be travelling from Anglesey to Gloucester probably Wednesday so I could pick up most of the kit on the way South as well

Well that sounds like it's pretty much sorted for the journey home, it is just a matter of getting there.

There are no changes involved in the train journey so I might be able lug everything onto the train with a bit of help and stay in the corridor at the end of each carriage with the 'scope.

Tom

I live only a few miles from the campsite and because I am retired I could easily pick you up from Hereford train station - its only 10 minutes drive away.

When we get nearer the time I can send you a PM with my mobile number and we can arrange collection details. As Helen as already said there will be lots of scopes around the site if your Dob becomes too difficult to manage on the train.

Mark

hi Tom

I am intending to go and might possibly be able to take you there - although I will be returning on the Saturday night - will have to leave my car outside the site if this is possible. If not it's just the Friday night for me.

I'll get in touch to confirm shortly.

Thank you very much for the kind offer Mark :)

I will see how I feel closer to the date and whether or not bringing the dob is a viable option, and if not I will do what you and Helen said and just bring the binocs and looks through other's telescopes.

hi Tom

will have to leave my car outside the site if this is possible.

Shane you will not be able to leave your car on the road outside the campsite. However, there is parking by the reception area which is approx 200 metres from the star party. In fact I have left my car there because I often 'pop home'.

Mark

Hi Shane, thank you for your offer of a lift :)

If Kev is offering a lift back on the Sunday then I should be able to stay the entire weekend and bring the dob only if it is convenient for you both, I don't to make either of you go out of your way, it's your weekend as well.

Dob or no dob it should be a great star party nontheless, and my first since the Maccastro one back in July 2009!!!

Hi Guys..

Can you put me down for the duration.. (31st - 3rd)

One pitch with electric.. Two occupants.. (Me and Kevstar)

Wife and kids say it's too cold but we'll wait and see:rolleyes:

Just PM me with the ammount and where to send it.

Thanks

Greg:hello2:

Hi Shane, thank you for your offer of a lift :)

If Kev is offering a lift back on the Sunday then I should be able to stay the entire weekend and bring the dob only if it is convenient for you both, I don't to make either of you go out of your way, it's your weekend as well.

Dob or no dob it should be a great star party nontheless, and my first since the Maccastro one back in July 2009!!!

If you'll trust me with your toys from the Wednesday I'll make sure it arrives safely :) and it isn't a problem lol

If you'll trust me with your toys from the Wednesday I'll make sure it arrives safely :) and it isn't a problem lol

As long as you take of it I see no problem in that and I'll be reunited with it on the Thursday anyway. I'll keep all the eyepieces and accessories with me so you'll only have the tube and base to stuff in :)

As long as you take of it I see no problem in that and I'll be reunited with it on the Thursday anyway. I'll keep all the eyepieces and accessories with me so you'll only have the tube and base to stuff in :)

problem solved :) pm me nearer the date and we'll sort it out

Archived