Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

If you HAD to keep only one scope?

This is a tricky one but I have kept my OO 8" F6 since 2005 so I think it would be the one I keep if I could only have one scope. 

I would add a push to system and an equatorial platform 😁

Cheers 

Ian

• Like 3

I think there was a similar topic started a few years ago. For that topic I chose my TeleVue Ranger.

For this topic it will be the same. Simply because it can be used for astronomical and terrestrial viewing.

Problem arises when deciding on which mount, eyepieces and accessories, etc., to keep as well.

Edited by RT65CB-SWL
  • Like 2

The scopes I've had are: 130p, 250px, 15" dob, and a 50mm Lunt Ha.  I've given the 250px away, and I don't use the 130p.  The LS50 for Ha solar is my most used scope, but the one I'd keep is the 15" dob for DSOs and everything else bar solar.

So I've kinda already whittled it down to one scope for night, one scope for daytime - but I'm tempted to try a frac! 🙊

Edited by niallk
  • Like 6

Right now it does not matter. Clouds look the same through all the scopes!

If I was to limit it to one, it would be the 115mm triplet as it is the most versatile. It is a good imaging scope but also very good for visual. Can I use the ST80 as a guide / finder scope?😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My CT8 Newtonian. Not the best at any one aspect but a close second at virtually everything. Light enough to be easily carried (admittedly not Ryanair friendly) and a useful light-grasp on DSOs. Fast enough for photography.

1 hour ago, Clarkey said:

Right now it does not matter. Clouds look the same through all the scopes!

If I was to limit it to one, it would be the 115mm triplet as it is the most versatile. It is a good imaging scope but also very good for visual. Can I use the ST80 as a guide / finder scope?😄

Plus, with a frac, you do get the widest fild of view of the clouds. 😂

• Haha 4

Tough decision.  I'd lean toward my 72ED - built like a tank, sliding dewshield so it collapses to about 12 inches long for easy travel, sharp optics.  But my ST102 has aperture and my ST80 with an upgraded 2-speed focuser is possibly my best all-around scope - size, weight, aperture, and inexpensive to replace.

If I were *reallypressed for space / weight, I'd keep my 50/250 converted RACI finder.

It would be an easy choice amongst my binos.

• Like 2

Well first of all let’s hope it never comes to this conundrum… 

& secondly, phew! At least the exam question is limited to ‘scopes so I can keep my Canon IS 10x42s (which I already have a plan to designate to marine/wildlife use if push ever comes to shove over the level of Astro-clutter question).

Other than that I would, predictably, plump for the 4” Tak (FC100 DC) for all the many reasons stated above. 
(Although if I couldn’t hang on to the bin’s the FS60 Q would be a strong contender as it doubles up as a widefield instrument). 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would struggle to choose between the my TS 102ED and WO ZS73. Obviously the 102ED is a better all-round scope but significantly less portable than the ZS73, meaning no more holiday observing which has brought me a lot of joy over the years! The ZS73 also punches above its weight IMO.

Very tough call!

• Like 3

I only have two to start with and being a rather irritating individual, I'd first have to know why I have to get rid of one?

They're both rather old and no longer worth much, so it wouldn't be for financial reasons.

However, just to play the game, although the etx90 is the travel 'scope and the easiest to set up for solar, it's the 8" dob that I've seen the most through and draws the biggest queue at the school observing sessions. :)

Edited by bingevader
  • Like 3

I've been mulling over this question for many months and came to the conclusion I only need one all rounder. The Stellamira 125ED f7.8 refractor is relatively light weight, easy to store, move around and mount. The scope itself cools very well and the view through it is all I could ask for at the price point.

My 102ED f7 and Skymax 127 are now up for sale. Great scopes but the Stellamira does the same job and then some.

Although choosing one scope means I really don't need several mounts. The Azgti is sold, I'll get around to selling the AZ5 and although the Celestron AVX steadfastly holds the SM125 and otherwise performs great, the scope is a bit too long and Celestron don't sell extension tubes...  So that will need to go and replaced with something else....  Likely a used HEQ5 so I can pick up a Skywatcher extension tube.

Keeping one scope is more complicated than it seems!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Keeping one scope is more complicated than it seems!

It is, indeed.

I would have to say it would be my APM ED152, a great all rounder, but, with more than 71 trips around the Sun so far, it may well be the scope that I haven't yet got that I settle for.....:smiley:

• Like 3