Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Two mounts delivered back to me this week from the Rowan chaps. My AZ100 has been upgraded with the Goto kit, and I have a an AZ75 to open on Christmas Day as a very generous pressie from Mum and Dad 🙏😊.

I’m looking forward to getting the FS-128 onto it for a decent session sometime soon, and also to do some side by sides with the LT80AZ and ST80 to see how they compare.

IMG_5218.jpeg

IMG_5217.jpeg

IMG_5216.jpeg

IMG_5215.jpeg

I wonder if an ST80 has ever had such a fine mount before. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Stu said:

Two mounts delivered back to me this week from the Rowan chaps. My AZ100 has been upgraded with the Goto kit, and I have a an AZ75 to open on Christmas Day as a very generous pressie from Mum and Dad 🙏😊.

I’m looking forward to getting the FS-128 onto it for a decent session sometime soon, and also to do some side by sides with the LT80AZ and ST80 to see how they compare.

IMG_5218.jpeg

IMG_5217.jpeg

IMG_5216.jpeg

IMG_5215.jpeg

Very nice Stu.

Btw, if your parents want to adopt a 56 yr old I'm available... 😄

• Haha 6

17 hours ago, Stu said:

IMG_5218.jpeg

IMG_5217.jpeg

IMG_5216.jpeg

IMG_5215.jpeg

Looks great Stu! One question about the AZ100 motor upgrade (at the risk of opening a can of worms 🤪) - is it still possible to move with slow mos/manually, or is it motor only at this point? I assume motor only? 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Stu said:

IMG_5218.jpeg

IMG_5217.jpeg

IMG_5216.jpeg

IMG_5215.jpeg

Lovely Stu.

And great to see some British made quality kit for a change👍✌️

Dave

• Like 3

Issues with my new tripod from FLO .. the centre shaft which connects the mount head to the tripod is faulty .. zzz I have made it work for now but they are sorting  out soon . In the meantime I put my newly acquired scopes on the newly acquired sabre v2  Just need to align the clamps . 

IMG_0217.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

On 18/12/2023 at 15:13, bosun21 said:

I bought one years ago and I’ve never used it. I can enjoy viewing the full moon without any filter whatsoever. Probably due to mainly using high magnification I reckon. I will have to dig it out and try it on the moon at low magnification.

Like you I prefer viewing the moon without a filter even though it’s so bright.

However, I have one of these and find it to be excellent when observing Mars and Venus, especially Mars where it definitely helped in bringing out the subtle features. I spent quite so time with my daughter, viewing Mars without any filter, various colour filters plus this variable polarising filter and we both agreed that this one could make a significant difference. 

Edited by PeterStudz

36 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

Like you I prefer viewing the moon without a filter even though it’s so bright.

However, I have one of these and find it to be excellent when observing Mars and Venus, especially Mars where it definitely helped in bringing out the subtle features. I spent quite so time with my daughter, viewing Mars without any filter, various colour filters plus this variable polarising filter and we both agreed that this one could make a significant difference. 

I actually bought mine mainly for planetary work. I think both Jupiter and Mars could benefit from it - at its lowest setting, it's only knocking off 1% of the light.

• Like 2

Sometimes you just have to acknowledge how suppliers put themselves out for us in this hobby. 
Thursday I contacted FLO  via email telling them of a problem with the tripod I bought from them 

Saturday ( today ) a replacement arrived via DPD !!!!! In this busy time of the year I reckon that deserves praise . 
And , we know FLO are not alone . I can mention Widescreen Centre and RVO and  Altair Astro who have done themselves proud with exceptional service . 
Happy Christmas . 

IMG_0220.jpeg

• Like 15

On 06/11/2023 at 12:44, JeremyS said:

0A2E727A-1A39-4028-92C5-F51F032CB8CA.thumb.jpeg.c92afad2736c378bdb31ebe98b667d60.jpeg

Any thoughts on this eyepiece yet Jeremy? Don’t think anyone’s reviewed them on SGL. Most comments on CN are pretty favourable, claiming the TPLs outperform most competitors. I’d only be interested if they beat TV Plossls - but haven’t seen any direct comparisons yet. I’m not too bothered about edge performance in fast scopes - more concerned with on axis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Any thoughts on this eyepiece yet Jeremy? Don’t think anyone’s reviewed them on SGL. Most comments on CN are pretty favourable, claiming the TPLs outperform most competitors. I’d only be interested if they beat TV Plossls - but haven’t seen any direct comparisons yet. I’m not too bothered about edge performance in fast scopes - more concerned with on axis.

Not used it yet Mark. Any recent clear nights I’ve been using the Mewlon for which the TPL is too high mag.

• Thanks 1

On 22/12/2023 at 12:08, badhex said:

Looks great Stu! One question about the AZ100 motor upgrade (at the risk of opening a can of worms 🤪) - is it still possible to move with slow mos/manually, or is it motor only at this point? I assume motor only? 

I couldn’t remember this point, so just tried it out. Without power, yes, the slo mos work fine, just with a slight notchiness from the turning of the motors.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Stu said:

I couldn’t remember this point, so just tried it out. Without power, yes, the slo mos work fine, just with a slight notchiness from the turning of the motors.

Cheers Stu, good to know. Not in the market for a mount for now but it will likely be an AZ100 once I am, and I'd definitely get one with the encoders in the first instance, if not also the motors. 

• Like 2

If you count me as the postman, this beauty made it back to me today as I finally managed a trip up to see Peter and collect it from him; David had kindly dropped it off at the Astronomy Centre for me 👍. Now fitted, it looks and feels as fabulous as I expected, will make a big difference to my enjoyment of the FS-128, when we get some clear sky of course!

IMG_5359.jpeg

IMG_5360.jpeg

IMG_5361.jpeg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, John said:

Lovely @Stu 🙂

There is little or nothing to rival a FeatherTouch. And I didn't used to be too fussy about focusers ! 🙄

Thanks John. It is rather lovely.

I find that a good dual speed focuser really improves the feel of the scope; you can have a much lighter touch with the fine focus which helps reduce vibrations.

• Like 4

On 21/12/2023 at 19:16, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Just the one pressie for my Canon IS 10x30 binos. 
Original case just not cut it so from the the large river in S America site a Aproca hard case. Looks the business and the binos are happy in their new home. 

John 

IMG_3512.thumb.jpeg.a09fd8aac129f1cc424732b4254f1094.jpegIMG_3513.thumb.jpeg.c753c60e529633fe3fcb3a59eba0b15f.jpeg

Well, your lovely new case has certainly caught my eye because I'm equally unimpressed by the Canon 10x30 bag. After Googling, I assume that's the case labelled for the 12x36? If so I'll start ordering :)

Out of curiosity, what covers are you using for the objectives in the photo?

16 hours ago, Stu said:

Thanks John. It is rather lovely.

I find that a good dual speed focuser really improves the feel of the scope; you can have a much lighter touch with the fine focus which helps reduce vibrations.

It certainly looks the part.
Stu, you let me look through one of your Morpheuses once, and now I have the set.
Please, do not let me try out a Feathertouch.  It's either ignorance or penury.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Got this superb Lunar atlas for Christmas, to add to my collection of Lunar books/atlases... really love this one 👍

Happy New Year everyone 😄

IMG_0880.jpeg

I'm thinking of getting the same! No more Lunar sessions without knowing what I'm looking at :grin: do let us know how you find it!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SwiMatt said:

I'm thinking of getting the same! No more Lunar sessions without knowing what I'm looking at :grin: do let us know how you find it!

Haven’t used it in anger yet, but I’m impressed so far with the layout, clarity and of course it’s laminated too 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A nice wee stack of insulation as I continue the project to turn my summerhouse into a warm room / nerve centre for my imaging rig.  Got a decent price even after I gave the lad £20 for delivering it to my work.

PXL_20231228_090336311.jpg

• Like 6

A little @FLO delivery today.

IMG_7739.thumb.jpeg.dbe6adb3ce8082ba3be720f07f5e3970.jpeg

This allows me to go mainly 1.25" with my refractors,
I may go all 1.25" in fact, pondering it for now.
The clamp makes things very solid indeed.

IMG_7740.thumb.jpeg.3872c19b8deb7d9cad5117bea9765f19.jpeg

The other item is a t2 extension, used with my Baader Prism Diagonal 32mm item, it had a short insert fitted,
this was to get the light path short with my bino-viewers, now gone.
But it could allow an ep to touch the prism if careless.

IMG_7741.thumb.jpeg.fc672613fde339f5e6eceded1c89926b.jpeg

Extension fitted, potential issue now gone and looks very neat.
I like the Baader build quality.

IMG_7742.thumb.jpeg.83660ae732e876a03c3d53bb16c1a646.jpeg

Sat on my Oklop Eyepiece Bag, which I really still enjoy, small and very useful.
Nearly purchased a third one with this little splurge, but held off as it would have had me filling it up with more glass!

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 12