SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

The old thread is so large it is causing performance issues with the forum’s search indexer. We think this is the reason for the recent search issues we’ve experienced.

The old thread has now been locked and is available here: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/305552-what-did-the-postman-bring/page/557/

Please use this thread ongoing for ‘What did the postman bring?’ posts.

In future, we will look to start a new thread every year or so to stop this issue repeating.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Got another one of those tiny filter cases :smile: This time with the (cheap and nasty ) filters in to see what they are like - only adds four quid to the price - obviously not the Lumicon OIII though which cost more than all my cases put together :biggrin:

DSC_07442048.thumb.jpg.4bd5439dd1bf2299d2314c8716af477b.jpg

• Like 6

I’ve wanted another pair of these ever since I stupidly sold the last ones! Found these used for a not too outrageous price, with a 6mth warranty.

I’ve just ordered two 58-48mm step down rings too so I can fit my filters to the objectives. Will also order some lens caps for the objectives.

I was a bit concerned when I first tried them as the stabilisation was jumpy when panning. However, a new set of batteries fixed that, so all is good. Will defo take these away with me this summer 👍

IMG_9791.jpeg

IMG_9792.jpeg

IMG_9793.jpeg

• Like 22

10mm BCO courtesy of @bosun21 

I’ve fancied trying one of these for a long time due to the number of reports on how good they are at drawing out the faintest of DSOs. Planning a bit of a shootout with my 9mm BGO. I seem to recall @John reviewing the BCOs and comparing them to BGOs when they were first released. 

IMG_2535.thumb.jpeg.c048c5b73605fe19affdcd198b9c2198.jpeg

• Like 10

Of the 3 Baader Classic Orthos I felt the 10mm and 18mm were the best - they seemed even a touch better than the Baader Genuine Orthos at or around that focal length. The 6mm BCO was pretty good but I felt that it was just a little behind the Baader GO 6mm. 

Some folks in the USA who use very large aperture dobs under desert skies rated the 10mm Baader Classic Ortho as one of the very best eyepieces for teasing out faint galaxies - only the Zeiss ZAO 10mm could best it and even then, only by a hair.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I’ve wanted another pair of these ever since I stupidly sold the last ones! Found these used for a not too outrageous price, with a 6mth warranty.

I’ve just ordered two 58-48mm step down rings too so I can fit my filters to the objectives. Will also order some lens caps for the objectives.

I was a bit concerned when I first tried them as the stabilisation was jumpy when panning. However, a new set of batteries fixed that, so all is good. Will defo take these away with me this summer 👍

IMG_9791.jpeg

IMG_9792.jpeg

IMG_9793.jpeg

Nice. I have been thinking seriously about ordering a pair of these.

Where did you source the step down rings?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

Nice. I have been thinking seriously about ordering a pair of these.

Where did you source the step down rings?

They do work really well, both for daytime and Astro. The stabilisation definitely allows you to see more at night.

This is where I bought them, same place as about ten years ago when I first bought them 🤪

https://www.srb-photographic.co.uk/srb-58-48mm-step-down-ring-2619-p.asp

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

DHL delivered a missing in action parcel that unboxed itself, wrapped itself in a plastic bag and then delivered to another address. Suffice to say the long awaited FT focuser was not as dispatched ☹️

New one now being supplied in its place, watch this space.

IMG_6543.thumb.jpeg.d42ab88f8c56826ed9dc89a42a102a9e.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Stu said:

IMG_9791.jpeg

IMG_9792.jpeg

IMG_9793.jpeg

Out of curiosity Stu, how heavy are they? Can they be used hand held comfortably? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

DHL delivered a missing in action parcel that unboxed itself, wrapped itself in a plastic bag and then delivered to another address. Suffice to say the long awaited FT focuser was not as dispatched ☹️

New one now being supplied in its place, watch this space.

IMG_6543.thumb.jpeg.d42ab88f8c56826ed9dc89a42a102a9e.jpeg

Nice one! Rare as rocking horse do/do these days! 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stu said:

They do work really well, both for daytime and Astro. The stabilisation definitely allows you to see more at night.

This is where I bought them, same place as about ten years ago when I first bought them 🤪

https://www.srb-photographic.co.uk/srb-58-48mm-step-down-ring-2619-p.asp

Quoting myself….. wouldn’t it be great if there were some 58mm or 48mm solar filters which could be used with these binos. Anyone know of any?

My Celestron Dew Heater Ring, Dew Shield, Dew Heater Controller and Baader UHC L Filter arrived as well as my Vibration Suppression Pads that came with my Scope that were backordered since March. Now if my Baader Oii and Variable Polarized Filter will arrive I will have everything I have ordered since May. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I was hoping to find some that screw into the 58mm thread on the front of the Canons for a safe/neater solution.

Maybe get a couple of camera filters in that size and swap the glass out for Baader film.

3 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Maybe get a couple of camera filters in that size and swap the glass out for Baader film.

Think I may have found a ready made option 😊

IMG_9799.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Ratlet said:

I wonder if you could get chatgpt to go through that entire thread and tally the cost of all the items...

Tallying my own expenditure over the previous couple of years took my breath away. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

• Like 1