Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from the Turks And Caicos Islands!

peter court

Hi All,

I've finally realized a long held ambition to take up amateur astronomy.  My catalyst was a science mad 10 year old daughter for whom I'd bought Celestron Starsense 102 refractor for our home in St Lucia.  However, I generally work away and currently in The Turks And Caicos Islands so, to keep an interest in tandem with her and have astronomy notes to compare, I bought an older Celestron Omni 102 refractor.

Well, as many on this forum will know, the bug bit and I soon found my Celestron wanting, the scope was OK but the mount wobbled and vibrated like a jelly!  At the same time I discovered FLO and found that importing kit from them was easy (much to my wife's concern lol) and and so ended up with my present set up, as the photo. Almost all from FLO apart from the ES Reflex sight and the Primaluce Losmandy Clamp (bought in anticipation of my next upgrade!!) Oh and the tripod was a work freebie, stiffened and foam filled.

My interests are purely visual observing and I'm still in the "wow" state as yet another cluster or something appears.  I'm lucky that my house here in TCI has an almost unobstructed 360 views with only a light dome from the town centre to upset things.  Now, if only I had the young eyes and sponge like memory of my daughter who reels off star names with ease!

Happy times and I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.

Peter Court

IMG_2933.JPG

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, SthBohemia said:

Skies not polluted by every detestable substance known to humanity, and lousy weather to boot... I'm jealous 😞 

Nope, very lucky although quite humid and salt laden so pretty corrosive to delicate stuff like mirrors etc.

Still, even paradise has its downside lol!

6 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Welcome! and what a nice looking setup you have there, clear skies!

I'll be honest and say that I'm only just starting to scratch the surface of the set up potential, still on the steep face of the learning curve.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, peter court said:

I'll be honest and say that I'm only just starting to scratch the surface of the set up potential, still on the steep face of the learning curve.

At least you’re not fooling yourself into thinking you have everything you need, unlike most of us 😄

Hi Peter! I lived on Provo TCI for a while,  in Long Bay and Blue Mountain. Had a plot in Cooper Jack Bay that I eventually sold. Worked with BCQS / CSE as a Design engineer on various Grace Bay projects and elsewhere.

Kinda miss the place but not the work 😜

Had a small 16' flats boat with a 30hp outboard I would load up with food and beer and head off to Iguana Key and a deserted beach. Now why did I head back to Saudi again? 

7 hours ago, 900SL said:

Hi Peter! I lived on Provo TCI for a while,  in Long Bay and Blue Mountain. Had a plot in Cooper Jack Bay that I eventually sold. Worked with BCQS / CSE as a Design engineer on various Grace Bay projects and elsewhere.

Kinda miss the place but not the work 😜

Had a small 16' flats boat with a 30hp outboard I would load up with food and beer and head off to Iguana Key and a deserted beach. Now why did I head back to Saudi again? 

My house here is in Long Bay, the view in the picture is facing East over the Caicos Banks, toward the old stranded freighter. Was that here in your day?

BCQS is still going strong, not sure about CSE as Chris moved to BVI.  Small world!

One question, is that Guzzi 850 Le Mans yours?  That was my poster bike back in the day!

Cheers,

Peter

Small world indeed Peter! Yes the freighter was there, it was driven onto the banks after dragging anchor. I went onto it once. Used to do a bit of diving too, West Caicos wall was a favourite.

And yes the Lemon is mine. I also have a 1973 GT V850, I'm a Guzzi nut :)

You'll find it a friendly place here, I've learned a lot from the more experienced members here. 

41 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Hi Peter and a warm welcome to SGL. Visited Turks & Caicos just before the pandemic and thoroughly enjoyed it, loved Grace Bay and those dark unpolluted skies!!

Hi Philip, glad you enjoyed your stay here, the water colors have to be seen to be believed don't they!

Peter 

• 2 weeks later...