SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

JWST images

IB20

Maybe we could give the presenters a break, they are scientists not the anchor of the Late, Late Show. For me they could host  the reveal with a cardboard cut out, its all about the images.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dinglem said:

at least the images were worth seeing 😀

They're blowing my tiny little mind!

I know I don't have to tell you lot that one can spend quite a bit of time just downloading the full res images and taking a little sight seeing tour. Just seeing all those tiny, tiny galaxies on top of the Souther Ring is a sight to behold for more than a glancing second.

• Like 2

@johnfosteruk Really good shout, there. Getting detailed spectra on exoplanets means we're far more likely to find Earth-like planets. Though, personally, I'm more interested in the weirdos; you know, the ones where it rains diamonds or there's never ending storms, the kind that make sci-fi seem tame by comparison.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, tomato said:

I love the diffraction patterns on the bright stars in the final image, a nice JWST signature.

Very nice, here's a rough approximation of the strut/secondary layout someone 'knocked up' and resultant Fourier transform that I found 6 years ago just for interest. Not far off the final result. :)

image.jpeg.804a9c3ddc6ffb5c04e091fa0292e970.jpeg

image.jpeg.12007dbd07db39714de3656fa37eafc8.jpeg

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, raadoo said:

@johnfosteruk Really good shout, there. Getting detailed spectra on exoplanets means we're far more likely to find Earth-like planets. Though, personally, I'm more interested in the weirdos; you know, the ones where it rains diamonds or there's never ending storms, the kind that make sci-fi seem tame by comparison.

Yes, me too, it'll be great to see some of that stuff confirmed, and new things too.

Edited by johnfosteruk

Mindblowing ! To think this is only the beginning. We have 20 years of this with images being released weekly, not to mention the new data on exoplanets.

Finally some good news in the world and something to look forward to.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Looks like JWST is a rather fast instrument so there will be an enormous pile of data left for decades after the mission ends. Who knows what will be discovered?

What a time to be alive!

Yes, I think that the improved speed could be as significant as the quality. It will be be spawning PhDs for long afterwards.

I had to duck out half way as a friend visited, just been catching up on the rest of it. The detail in the nebulae is staggering, and I think the palettes they've used have also resulted in some exquisite eye candy.

Did anyone catch if there is another scheduled reveal of the next images, or is it now as and when?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

The detail in the nebulae is staggering, and I think the palettes they've used have also resulted in some exquisite eye candy.

They certainly nailed the colour palette, scientifically relevant and as you say excellent eye candy.

Alan

7 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Sorry if this has already been covered here but is there an explanation somewhere of what the different colours represent in the JSWT colour pallete/s? 

It was discussed in the presentation but I don't have a direct link and cant remember the details..

Alan

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Sorry if this has already been covered here but is there an explanation somewhere of what the different colours represent in the JSWT colour pallete/s? 

Itching to know this myself too. There is bound to be some technical explanation sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

As others have said, just in this release there's so much to enjoy. Looking forward to regular releases. And don't forget you can access the data yourself via MAST, as described here:

https://archive.stsci.edu/contents/newsletters/july-2022/accessing-jwst-science-data-after-the-end-of-commissioning?filterPage=news&filterName=news-filter

• Thanks 1