Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

JWST images

IB20

16 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Sorry if this has already been covered here but is there an explanation somewhere of what the different colours represent in the JSWT colour pallete/s? 

Only explanation I have seen is this, from:
https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/2022/038/01G7JGTH21B5GN9VCYAHBXKSD1

Color Info These images are a composite of separate exposures acquired by the James Webb Space Telescope using the NIRCam instrument. Several filters were used to sample broad wavelength ranges. The color results from assigning different hues (colors) to each monochromatic (grayscale) image associated with an individual filter. In this case, the assigned colors are:   Red: F444W Orange: F356W  Green: F200W + F277W Blue: F090W + F150W
Compass Image Thousands of small galaxies appear across this view. Their colors vary. Some are shades of orange, while others are white. Most appear as fuzzy ovals, but a few have distinct spiral arms. In front of the galaxies are several foreground stars. Most appear blue, and the bright stars have diffraction spikes, forming an eight-pointed star shape. There are also many thin, long, orange arcs that curve around the center of the image.
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/2022/038/01G7JGTH21B5GN9VCYAHBXKSD1

Color Info These images are a composite of separate exposures acquired by the James Webb Space Telescope using the NIRCam instrument. Several filters were used to sample broad wavelength ranges. The color results from assigning different hues (colors) to each monochromatic (grayscale) image associated with an individual filter. In this case, the assigned colors are:   Red: F444W Orange: F356W  Green: F200W + F277W Blue: F090W + F150W
Compass Image Thousands of small galaxies appear across this view. Their colors vary. Some are shades of orange, while others are white. Most appear as fuzzy ovals, but a few have distinct spiral arms. In front of the galaxies are several foreground stars. Most appear blue, and the bright stars have diffraction spikes, forming an eight-pointed star shape. There are also many thin, long, orange arcs that curve around the center of the image.

Here's a lot more detail on the NIRCam filters:

https://jwst-docs.stsci.edu/jwst-near-infrared-camera/nircam-instrumentation/nircam-filters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

Thanks. I suppose they don’t have to use just one colour key. Deep sky galaxy fields could be one colour palette, nebulae another and so on. 

13 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Thanks. I was just about to post this page. :)

What they’ve done then is to transfer the colours of the visible spectrum (violet to red) to the  ~1 to 5 micron range in the infrared that the JWST camera is sensitive. 

13 minutes ago, Craig a said:

wonder how much it would cost to coat my 10 inch mirror in 24ct gold

4 minutes ago, faulksy said:

going to need a bigger dob

Your existing scopes are fine.  You just need a new mount that can position them near the Sun-Earth Lagrange point (2).

Simples.

• Like 2

Fantastic pictures, I have a question, if any of the more experienced guys know; if you zoom in on the original release groups of galaxies are all oriented the same way. (Left and slightly above the star for example), this can't be coincidence can it?

Edit; Never mind, I found the answer. They said the massive galaxy in the center (not the star, that's a foreground image) is bending the light of all the other galaxies around it, "Like in the bottom of a wine glass".

Edited by beetm

16 minutes ago, StuartT said:

It looks like to download the data from MAST you need to be a university employee (registration asks for an institution and a job title). Any other way of getting it?

https://archive.stsci.edu/contents/newsletters/july-2022/accessing-jwst-science-data-after-the-end-of-commissioning

You can still register - just use N/A for those fields.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, StuartT said:

It looks like to download the data from MAST you need to be a university employee (registration asks for an institution and a job title). Any other way of getting it?

https://archive.stsci.edu/contents/newsletters/july-2022/accessing-jwst-science-data-after-the-end-of-commissioning

Just leave those options blank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, globular said:

Your existing scopes are fine.  You just need a new mount that can position them near the Sun-Earth Lagrange point (2).

Simples.

my half meter scope would be ace up there 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig a said:

That deep feild SMACS 0723 is simply unbelievable, wonder how much it would cost to coat my 10 inch mirror in 24ct gold 😂

Gold isn't the problem. The atmosphere and cooling are. Our best chance at JWST like images is when Deep Sky West or iTelescope set up shop on the far side of the moon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig a said:

That deep feild SMACS 0723 is simply unbelievable, wonder how much it would cost to coat my 10 inch mirror in 24ct gold 😂

Not much.  About the same as it would cost you to have the same mirror re-aluminized. Plenty of people will do it for you.

The metal is a vanishingly small part of the cost. The majority is the vacuum chamber and the very precise process control.

• Like 1

It bothers me that the diffraction patterns from JWST images form a rather flattened six-pointed star, rather than a neat symmetrical hexagon, if you get my drift.

…but I guess that’s a me problem, as my son constantly tells me.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lukebl said:

It bothers me that the diffraction patterns from JWST images form a rather flattened six-pointed star, rather than a neat symmetrical hexagon, if you get my drift.

I think it's a combination of the secondary struts and the shapes of the hexagons.

Did you see this, further up:

36 minutes ago, lukebl said:

Diffraction patterns are always at right angles to the edge causing the diffraction, and emanate from the (image of the) light source.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveS said:

This an image from a few years ago. 2 mins each RGB with the Liverpool Telescope on La Palma

1561446983_2MinNewRGB.thumb.jpg.ff64caf3dd50f390c83bdf9739394d5e.jpg

Sorry if the overall rotation isn't perfect but do the interacting pair looked to have rotated a little more since the image from La Palma?

I don't think it is significant, but a few degrees or so!

624234095_2MinNewRGB.jpg.70b14c20a3e9169c77a5c667b631e696.thumb.jpg.d04ee036d22d38c1f0e319864bb05de6.jpg

image.png.ed9139137a932207826a148c8f0012fa.thumb.jpg.10968cc1d59eea5e1d4c369b91b74036.jpg

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Thanks, nice and easy to understand graph in there:

nircam_filters.png

That makes sense

F = Filter

nnn = wavelength in microns x 100

W2 / W / M / N to indicate whether Very Wide / Wide / Medium / Narrow spreads 

2 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

That makes sense

F = Filter