Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

JWST images

IB20

54 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Usually the problem is how to get rid of them in post-processing!

Better to get to the cause of the problem: get a Mak-Newt 😁

(that’s what I did)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, robin_astro said:

In  who's reference frame ? not the photons 😉

....and any case, since the  (apparent) magnitude is a measurement of the photon flux at the earth, the brightness did peak at ~mag 12 in August 2013 😉 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, robin_astro said:

....and any case, since the  (apparent) magnitude is a measurement of the photon flux at the earth, the brightness did peak at ~mag 12 in August 2013 😉 

touché my friend.

On 20/07/2022 at 18:16, IB20 said:

Anyone fancy having a go at GLASS-z13? 

They say this about Glass-Z13: "Both of the galaxies are much smaller than Earth’s Milly Way Galaxy, which is 100,000 light-years across. GLASS-z13 is estimated to be about 1,600 light-years across" which seems pretty tiny, but how on earth do they make an estimate like that? Is it using the visible size and an estimate for how much the universe has expanded since the light left it (magnifying its image)? Or is it based on theory for how big early galaxies should be? Do they take into account gravitational lensing effects? They don't really have much to compare it with.

Mark

10 hours ago, markse68 said:

They say this about Glass-Z13: "Both of the galaxies are much smaller than Earth’s Milly Way Galaxy, which is 100,000 light-years across. GLASS-z13 is estimated to be about 1,600 light-years across" which seems pretty tiny, but how on earth do they make an estimate like that? Is it using the visible size and an estimate for how much the universe has expanded since the light left it (magnifying its image)? Or is it based on theory for how big early galaxies should be? Do they take into account gravitational lensing effects? They don't really have much to compare it with.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, markse68 said:

Mark

I think you'll find it is calculated based on the measured angular dimensions and red shift  using models of the gravitational lensing and the LCMD cosmology .

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, andrew s said:

I think you'll find it is calculated based on the measured angular dimensions and red shift  using models of the gravitational lensing and the LCMD cosmology .

Regards Andrew 

Each measurement and model will have error bounds. I assume 1,600 will be the 50th percentile result when bringing it all together.  I wonder what the 10th and 90th percentile results are? Feels to me that the error bounds must me quite large given all the unknowns. They should be published too really (maybe they are somewhere?)

33 minutes ago, globular said:

Each measurement and model will have error bounds. I assume 1,600 will be the 50th percentile result when bringing it all together.  I wonder what the 10th and 90th percentile results are? Feels to me that the error bounds must me quite large given all the unknowns. They should be published too really (maybe they are somewhere?)

You will need to find the relevant peer reviewed paper. It will have the relevant error bars. However,  it s very difficult to calculate systematic errors and all "cosmological " distances rely on what cosmological model you accept.  One advantage of the LCDM cosmology is the it is easiest to apply.

Regards Andrew 

See @Gfamily's post above.

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

if these early galaxies really are measured as predicted to be much smaller than the galaxies we see in our time frame, would there not be many more of them given the universe was much smaller and denser back then? Why do we only see the odd one or two of them? Are the others just way too small and dim to see? Or are the distances between them so stretched in the intervening expansion that they look very far apart?

4 hours ago, robin_astro said:

Bizarrely in our universe this is only true out to about 1.5 redshift. Beyond that all cows look about the same size or even larger 🙂

https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9905116v4

Section 6 "Angular Diameter Distance"

which is really convenient when trying to observe very distant and possibly relatively small early galaxies!

9 minutes ago, markse68 said:

if these early galaxies really are measured as predicted to be much smaller than the galaxies we see in our time frame, would there not be many more of them given the universe was much smaller and denser back then? Why do we only see the odd one or two of them? Are the others just way too small and dim to see? Or are the distances between them so stretched in the intervening expansion that they look very far apart?

Lots of guesswork and approximations in this early, yet to be peer reviewed, paper.  But they seem to take an opposite view to you....
"we wouldn't expect these early galaxies to be as common as they appear to be. We estimate that if galaxies were visible at the rates we'd expect, we'd have had to search through an area 10 times larger to come up with them"

Isn't the relatively limited time frame in which the universe was in the state necessary to form these "small" galaxies (a few hundred million years) part of the answer as to why there are a lot less of them compared to the billions of years in which the more familiar ones were forming?