Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbe

Starprincess1966

hi my name is  Chris Hart-Martin, I am a  wife and homemaker,I like to read and I am a   Amateur astronomer, I love anything  having to do with space, I watch the 

nasa channel a lot especialley when they  our broadcasting  spacewalks, I have a  telescope but cant use it till spring,and cant wait till spring gets here,I wish winter 

were over, so that I can get back out on my porch, and see what plants that I can find.

I am looking to make friends on this forum, and want to join one or two groups  in this forum, I  may not be on  line every day, but will get online as much as I possible can 

and  I  want to get involved in group discussions as much as possible, that way I can meat new people,and possible make new friends

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

Hi and welcome to the best astro forum. No idea what you mean about different groups, ( perhaps, ) we are all in this together are we not? 😛

Pretty sure she meant like SCT, imaging, etc groups or specific threads.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Chris.  I grew up across the Mississippi River in Iowa.  I actually toured Bradley University in Peoria when I was considering which college to attend nearly 40 years ago.  It seemed like a nice college and Peoria seemed like a nice town.

Of course, all I can think of is the phrase "Will it play in Peoria?".  I don't know if the majority on here would know that phrase being UK based in large part.

Don't be shy about asking astronomy questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris, 

Welcome to SGL! I am a new member as well. My wife and I are admittedly "pandemic astronomers", but the good news is that the hobby stuck and that was largely due to great resources such as SGL and that is why I eventually became a member. I understand that we are not supposed to show favoritism, and I will refrain from mentioning other sites, but SGL seems to be the most up-to-date in all aspects and more intuitive to use. Plus, I like the international aspect of it, as there are lots of knowledgeable people here literally the world over! We are in Jamestown, North Dakota. I imagine that you do not have to venture terribly far for some dark(er) skies, but I know that living in a mid-size city may warrant looking into a light pollution filter. I am not yet knowledgeable enough to recommend which one(s), but I would look into it, especially if you live within the city limits. And, yes, we cannot wait for spring as well! We have an Apertura AD8, Celestron C90, and a Zhumell Z114 to meet our needs for now and to allow for versality and are eager to set them up! Good luck and happy stargazing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...