Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

JWST Countdown To Terror 😳

kirkster501

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

I honestly think (and hope!) everything will be OK. They are basically launching a satellite which is built on current knowledge and experience. Sending rovers to Mars and getting them to work seems much more complex. 

JWST will not orbit the Earth, it will orbit the sun at L2, it is unlikely that if anything goes wrong, or if something doesn't work that we could do what we did with Hubble and go out and fix it.

1 hour ago, gilesco said:

JWST will not orbit the Earth, it will orbit the sun at L2, it is unlikely that if anything goes wrong, or if something doesn't work that we could do what we did with Hubble and go out and fix it.

Yes, I know that but it is still essentially a satellite launch, albeit a very expensive one! 

I don’t think there is any way they’ll say Go! unless they are 100% happy. They can de-fuel the scope and rocket but if they lose the payload, that’s it.

But like everyone else, I’d love to see it launch safely on Friday.

Thanks for the heads up on tracking it’s trajectory, I’ll give it a go if the clouds go away.

• Like 1

Definitely.  After all this time we can wait for a few more days.  I was all ready to rock for Friday though and planned around watching the live launch.  It'll be a bit more tricky watching it preparing the turkey on Saturday if it launches then 🙈

On 22/12/2021 at 08:22, Nicola Fletcher said:

Weather doesn’t look much better on Saturday- still, better to postpone as they only get one chance at this!

I can see them delaying at least a week. No idea if that means draining the fuel etc.

• Sad 1

According to a tweet from Mark McCaughrean  (@markmccaughrean), the rain wasn't a particular problem, but the wind direction would have been.

A northerly wind on Friday meant it wouldn't be safe to launch then, but the direction is due to change by Saturday.

Mark McCaughrean is the Senior Advisor for Science & Exploration at ESA; well worth following if you're on Twitter, and a great speaker if you ever get s chance to hear him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gfamily said:

According to a tweet from Mark McCaughrean  (@markmccaughrean), the rain wasn't a particular problem, but the wind direction would have been.

A northerly wind on Friday meant it wouldn't be safe to launch then, but the direction is due to change by Saturday.

Mark McCaughrean is the Senior Advisor for Science & Exploration at ESA; well worth following if you're on Twitter, and a great speaker if you ever get s chance to hear him. 

That sounds like good news- really hoping for a safe launch on Saturday! 
I’ll follow Mark McCaughrean now 😊

14 minutes ago, tomato said:

As Tom Hanks (as Jim Lovell) said in Apollo 13, “Just breath normal, fellas”.

The Ariane 5 has a commendable successful launch record.

There, I’ve said it now…

I am scared now, would feel safer with a Musk or Russian launch 😱

Alan

• Like 1